Cavalier Starting in the 1980s. the Cavalier made a name for itself by offering an affordable 2 and 4 door compact.
Platform: J-body

2002 cavalier ignition switch

Search this Thread

Old October 30th, 2017, 4:39 PM
CF Beginner

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 2002 cavalier ignition switch

I have a 2002 chevy cavalier that recently started having the key get locked in the "on" position. There is 152,000 miles on it so decided to buy another ignition switch because when this first happened it left me stuck at work at 1:00am and had to get a cab to go home which cost me $75. I bought a new switch at advance auto. It is Dorman brand and cost $180 with tax. It has pass lock feature on it and was exact replacement for this car. I installed it and followed directions exactly. Turn key on then try and start car then leave key on for 10 mins till security light goes out and then repeat. Well, the first time i turned over the engine it started and stays running but security light won't go out. I've left the key on for almost half an hour without car running and light still won't go out. It seems to run just fine but i don't want to be in the middle of driving and the theft system decides to activate and shut the car off while driving. I've also unhooked batter for 30mins and light is still on. Is there something i didn't do right? Faulty ignition switch maybe?? How do i get this darn light off??
Old October 30th, 2017, 8:24 PM
CF Beginner

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

also wanted to mention that i am using the new key that came with the ignition switch. Are these keys chipped? I'm wondering if i key the new switch to the old key and use the old key if i would still be having issues. If i put the old switch back in with the old key the light goes off right away but i also run the risk of getting stranded again if i decides to lock up again!