Cavalier Starting in the 1980s. the Cavalier made a name for itself by offering an affordable 2 and 4 door compact.
Platform: J-body

2004 Cavalier starter won't engage/activate

Search this Thread

Old May 2nd, 2017, 9:19 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2004 Cavalier starter won't engage/activate

Hi!
I have a 2004 chevrolet cavalier, new battery, starter will not activate. When I turn the key on the gauges all activate but when I try to crank the car the gauges deactivate as if low voltage. Battery tested with multimeter @ 12.75 volts. Wires/terminals connecting to starter can't be moved by hand.

I just replaced the battery because the old one was 5yrs old and the other day I had to charge the battery to get car cranked. The next day the battery was dead again & wouldn't take a charge from my battery charger. When I replaced the battery I first connected the positive cable & when I connected the negative/ground cable to the battery it sparked. I thought it was odd. I tried cranking the car & get the results mentioned above, (gauges deactivate). I disconnected both battery cables, checked fuses, connections to starter & then reconnected battery. It didn't spark the second time.

Any ideas on what it could be or what & how to test? Thank you, very much for your time! Have a great day!
HH