Cavalier Starting in the 1980s. the Cavalier made a name for itself by offering an affordable 2 and 4 door compact.
Platform: J-body

2005 Cavalier horn issue

Search this Thread

Old December 27th, 2021, 12:14 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2005 Cavalier horn issue

Hello,

I just bought a 2005 Cavalier from a private seller last month, and the headlight/turn signal switch didn't function properly. I replaced it with a switch from a Pontiac Sunfire, and now my headlights and signals work correctly again, but now the horn doesn't work. Has anyone had this problem before? I've checked some of the wiring, but not all of it. I was wondering if anyone knew of this being an issue on this particular car and had any suggestions. Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Old December 27th, 2021, 8:16 AM
CF Monarch

Received 363 Likes on 344 Posts

Welcome from Florida. Double check what you did as it sounds like when you were in there, you might have disconnected the horn wire by accident.
Old December 27th, 2021, 9:05 AM
CF Beginner

Thanks. (: Where exactly is the horn wire located? I really know nothing about this car so far.
Old December 27th, 2021, 10:25 AM
CF Monarch

In the steering column under the horn button.
Old December 27th, 2021, 1:09 PM
CF Beginner

I'll give that a try on my day off tomorrow. While I'm at it, I have another question you might be able to help me with. How do you get that damn covering off from around the tilt handle without breaking it?
Old December 27th, 2021, 5:12 PM
CF Monarch

I don't know much about the Cavalier. Just be careful with the air bag.
Old January 5th, 2022, 6:19 AM
CF Beginner

So I tried to look for that horn wiring and I couldn't directly find it. I have a Haynes manual I looked in and it wasn't much help. Does anyone else here possibly know exactly where that connection is? I tried asking on a J body forum, but it doesn't appear to really be very active. I've had far better responses here. Thanks to anyone who can give me any advice.
Old May 26th, 2022, 4:38 AM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by andrew.horton89
Hello,

I just bought a 2005 Cavalier from a private seller last month, and the headlight/turn signal switch didn't function properly. I replaced it with a switch from a Pontiac Sunfire, and now my headlights and signals work correctly again, but now the horn doesn't work. Has anyone had this problem before? I've checked some of the wiring, but not all of it. I was wondering if anyone knew of this being an issue on this particular car and had any suggestions. Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Did you change the relay too? I had same problem. Also check fuse inside drivers door 10 Amp. Might try change that also check make sure whole box is secure. Good luck park mine in garage and problem stopped
Sound like moisture shorting. But yea have to change relay when change switch.
Old May 28th, 2022, 3:31 AM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by David van duzen
Did you change the relay too? I had same problem. Also check fuse inside drivers door 10 Amp. Might try change that also check make sure whole box is secure. Good luck park mine in garage and problem stopped
Sound like moisture shorting. But yea have to change relay when change switch.

Had same. have to change relay but as mentioned watch airbag. I park mine in garage and same ting it stopped. Sounds like moisture also make sue grease the switch. Relay is in column where you changed switch. Hope helps.