Cavalier Starting in the 1980s. the Cavalier made a name for itself by offering an affordable 2 and 4 door compact.
Platform: J-body

96 2.2 auto in limp mode, cel on, esc on

Search this Thread

Old November 13th, 2011, 1:21 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 96 2.2 auto in limp mode, cel on, esc on

drivin down the highway at 70 like usual when suddenly no noises lotsa lights and im slowing down quickly.esc light on steady, cel on steady,in limp mode. made it home at 18 mph. went to oreillys for a code reader. got it , followed directions( at least 4 or 5 times) got absolutely no response or codes or anything. Acting like it was being turned on and not plugged in to anything at all. code reader works fine on other vehicles. thoughts, ideas, and most suggestions are greatly appreciated. Thank you
Old November 13th, 2011, 4:52 PM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Welcome to the forum. Check for battery voltage on pin 16 (rightmost pin, bottom row as you view the connector under the dash) and ground on pin 5 (5th pin from the left, top row). If battery voltage absent, check the 15A CIG fuse.
Old November 14th, 2011, 9:47 PM
CF Beginner

ok so the fuse was blown. i put in another and it blew when i started it. put in 1 more after checking wiring. it didnt blow so i cleared comp by disconnecting battery and started itl both lights came back again. what all is on this circuit? hafta do more digging i think. thank you
Old November 14th, 2011, 10:40 PM
CF Veteran

The CIG fuse is just for the auxiliary power sockets and, incidentally, the OBD connector. You must have a short in the wiring or power sockets. What are "both lights" and did you scan for trouble codes?
Old November 15th, 2011, 9:17 PM
CF Beginner

both lights are ets and cel. i dont have the code reader anymore. can it be done without a reader? maybe a paperclip? i dont know which terminals to jump or if it can be done
Old November 15th, 2011, 11:35 PM
CF Veteran

I think they went OBD-II for 1996 and thus you need a code reader or scanner neither of which are terribly expensive nowadays.
Old November 20th, 2011, 5:56 PM
CF Beginner

i got a p0325 knock sensor error code and thats all it said. where is it? under the intake manifoldc side i bet lol
Old December 5th, 2011, 7:12 PM
CF Beginner

ok i have searched for a while and cant seem to find the knock sensor. do you have a diagram of where it is located? i think it is right below the coil. im ready to pull the intake so i can see better
Old December 5th, 2011, 10:25 PM
CF Veteran

That's probably not going to help. It's below the exhaust manifold (torque to 143-196 lb-in or 16-22 N·m):

Last edited by EinST; December 7th, 2011 at 11:45 AM. Reason: New IMG
Old December 6th, 2011, 3:50 AM
CF Beginner

everything ive read so far says its on the firewall side however im not convinced it is since i have found 3 different possible locations so far. wish i had access to something from gm. im only saying this because the exhaust mani is in front and i dont see any sensors or wiring there. i just finished changing one on a 3vz toyota. that was hard enough to locate

Quick Reply: 96 2.2 auto in limp mode, cel on, esc on