Cavalier Starting in the 1980s. the Cavalier made a name for itself by offering an affordable 2 and 4 door compact.
Platform: J-body

97 z24 no brake lights or turn signals

Search this Thread

Old October 19th, 2011, 7:45 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy 97 z24 no brake lights or turn signals

I recently bought this 97 z24 and there is no blinkers or brake lights. I have checked all fuses, all grounds that i could find, replaced brake pedal switch, replaced turn signal switch, replaced flasher that is located right above brake pedal which i was told that that is the flasher for the hazzards and the brake power runs through, replaced all bulbs. ANd nothing changed. still no lights not even the front ones work. My headlights work, my running lights work, front and back, my reverse lights work, but no brake lights or blinkers. Please any info would be appreciated.
Old October 19th, 2011, 9:25 PM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Welcome to the forum. The component in the common path is the turn signal multifunction switch. The turn signal and stop lamp signal both run through the same filaments in the rear. Thus, when both don't work, it's either the switch, wiring, or grounding, in that order since both sides are affected.
Old October 21st, 2011, 8:15 PM
CF Active Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You should move to Louisiana, most drivers here do not use turn lights (I suspect they are optional here and you can save some money when buying a new vehicle by opting out having turn signals). Brake light are still used, but only because they turn on automatically every time you step on brakes.
Of course, we have highest insurance rates in the US thanks to this, but who cares.
Sorry for rant and being OT, but I just got home after driving about 100 mi in LA highways. I used an odd gallon of fuel and narrowly escaped two accidents because drivers here are totally unpredictable.