Cavalier Starting in the 1980s. the Cavalier made a name for itself by offering an affordable 2 and 4 door compact.
Platform: J-body

'98 cavalier theft system starting issue, but theft system has been removed

Search this Thread

Old February 21st, 2021, 12:43 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default '98 cavalier theft system starting issue, but theft system has been removed

I have a 98 cavalier that has a similar issue as others have mentioned with the theft system causing starting issues, but mine has a weird TWIST. When I got it the car had an after market alarm system, we removed the alarm system and disabled the theft system on the car and it starts perfectly when the temp is over about 55-60 degrees, but when it's cold it takes a long time for the car to register the key. It usually does something like this when it's cold outside: first I put the key in and turn it to the ON position but don't try to turn it over yet (replacing starter taught me that doesn't work), When the key is in the ON position, all of my gauges peg in the middle ( gas gauge goes to half tank, temp gauge goes to middle) and the odometer shows all 0's or is blank, I then have to wait any where from 5 - 45 min for the car to register the key, Then all the gauges go nuts and bounce around for a few minutes and then when everything on the instrument panel is back to normal I can turn over the ignition and it starts and runs perfectly ( the theft system light is always on) Any suggestions on a cheap and quick fix if I don't have the theft system on it anymore? I want to sell it but it's an art form trying to start it and it gets REALLY cold where I live and no one wants to wait an hour to start their car. I have replaced the ingnition cylinder, starter, alternator, battery, and water pump
Old February 23rd, 2021, 6:59 PM
CF Active Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Get another BCM, Body Control Model, from a junkyard? Or spend the big bucks and buy a new one? As you may know, Changing the BCM requires the 3X turn on and wait procedure, and the radio won't work until the BCM has been flashed.
Old June 14th, 2021, 3:17 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So my boggle is that I have a 2002 Chevy cavalier the coupe with the 2.2 I believe so long story short friend lost key to the car so I replaced the ignition switch in order for him to be able to you know go to work or whatever for that day but just so you can get out and get going okay so after I replaced it car wouldn't start so I rebooted the security system then and when I say that it wouldn't start what I mean was that like all the lights and everything would come on in the car but it wouldn't even fire turn over make a sound anything once I rebooted the security system however it did so what's happening now is that when I turn the ignition on it'll start stay on for a second or two and then cut off then I realized that it was low on gas and I thought maybe it could have been the gas so I put gas in it still nothing however when I started if I hit the if I hit the accelerator while I'm starting it it won't even it won't it will fire but it won't start whereas if I don't hit the accelerator it will I can hear that the fuel pump is engaging all the has power and everything everything is as it should be for the most part other than the fact that it won't start please help
Old June 15th, 2021, 9:26 PM
CF Active Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

That's all controlled by the BCM, so start with a new/different BCM. It's a black box located just above your left foot when driving, three plugs, easy to remove.