Cavalier Starting in the 1980s. the Cavalier made a name for itself by offering an affordable 2 and 4 door compact.
Platform: J-body

98 Z24 slipping clutch?

Search this Thread

Old March 6th, 2006, 8:09 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 98 Z24 slipping clutch?

My brother has been looking at a 98 5 speed Z24. It seems to run good, body is in nice shape, but there seems to be something wrong in the clutch. We took it for a drive up the road and all seemed well, tranny was shifting fine but then he took it for a ride out on the highway and I followed behind him. He told me that in 4th and 5th gear, under moderate to heavy throttle the clutch would slip heavily and the rpms would shoot up. I was behind him, and I could smell it burning. According to the Z24's current owner, the clutch was replaced a little over a year ago, and since then the car has sat in his garage, then a few months ago was driven to a repair shop where it has sat for close to 3 months. The current owner didn't say what was replaced in the clutch however. Any idea what could be causing the clutch to slip so badly that you can smell it burning?
Old March 8th, 2006, 4:55 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: 98 Z24 slipping clutch?

Not really sure, however read my post under twin cam engine about my personal opinion about the newer body style of the Cavalier. I would say to stay away from it because there are a lot of people out there that have been having problems with the car. Just my opinion, but I wouldn't want to see you get in over your head with having to make a lot of repairs to a vehicle you just bought.