Cavalier Starting in the 1980s. the Cavalier made a name for itself by offering an affordable 2 and 4 door compact.
Platform: J-body

Aftermarket Stereo/Deck

Search this Thread

Old February 1st, 2009, 3:40 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Aftermarket Stereo/Deck

I recently purchased a new car deck for my 2002 cavalier. I was told when buying it that i would need to purchase something that will allow my door chimes and air bags to continue working if i wanted to install my new deck. I was wondering if someone could let me in on what i need, in order to keep everything working properly.
Old February 22nd, 2009, 8:05 PM
Ride of the Month
April 2009

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a 2005 Cavalier, and ran into the same issue when I upgraded my stereo. You will need a GM Factory Integration Adapter. GM was stupid enough to wire a lot of essentials into the factory radio, so if you don't have this adapter, a lot of stuff won't work. Here's the official word from Crutchfield. Hope this helps.

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_120GMRC...erface&tp=3486

Metra's VT-GMRC-01 GM Class II Data Bus Interface lets you replace the factory receiver in these vehicles and keep the door chime and all audible safety warnings.

Hook the VT-GMRC-01 to your aftermarket radio, mount the module in a location where the chime can be heard, and plug it into the existing factory plug. Get the great sound you want, and keep all important safety features intact. The VT-GMRC-01 will not work with OnStar equipped vehicles. 1-year warranty.

Important Note: Because your vehicle is factory-equipped with a special sound system, you will need to purchase this VT-GMRC-01 adapter in order to keep your factory door chime (needed to keep audible safety warnings functioning) while providing a switched 12-volt power source for your new radio. If you do not use a compatible adapter when you replace your factory radio, you will disable the audible warning system in your vehicle. Crutchfield cannot provide a free wiring harness for your vehicle, and we strongly recommend that you use the recommended adapter when replacing this vehicle's factory radio. Failure to do so may result in serious injury or death.