Cavalier Starting in the 1980s. the Cavalier made a name for itself by offering an affordable 2 and 4 door compact.
Platform: J-body

Alternator question

Search this Thread

Old December 24th, 2017 | 10:52 AM
CF Beginner

Default Alternator question

Hello! I am new here and trying to help a friend out.

Her cavalier (a 2002) recently died while driving and they were able to jump it and it ran after that. She had the alternator tested and it was no good. Battery was good. She replaced the alternator with a remanufactured unit it ran for a couple days and now her car won't do anything (no attempt to turn over and only a few dash lights come on). I haven't really been able to take a look at it for more than a few minutes and I noticed this wire underneath that alternator and coming from the harness was no longer attached. However, I am not sure where it goes to? Do you guys? I am not sure if this is what is causing her issue or not but it definitely should be fixed.

I haven't been able to test voltage or fuses and relays yet. Tried jumping after alternator replacement as well and nothing. I am not sure if the new alternator is good or not either.
Old December 24th, 2017 | 11:19 AM
CF Monarch

Post a picture of the rear of the alternator where the wires attach to it. Does it look like any wire is pulled out of the plug.
Old December 24th, 2017 | 11:50 AM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by oldchevy
Post a picture of the rear of the alternator where the wires attach to it. Does it look like any wire is pulled out of the plug.
I am not near the car right now but everything attached to the alternator looked good. I actually remember double checking the plug to make sure that wire wasn't stripped from the connector and it looked good. I believe there was a red and white (possibly yellow) wire attached to the plug.