Cavalier Starting in the 1980s. the Cavalier made a name for itself by offering an affordable 2 and 4 door compact.
Platform: J-body

amp install - fail

Search this Thread

Old February 15th, 2009, 10:38 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy amp install - fail

Hello I am frustrated after having bought sub, amp, wire-kit and installed it all but I haven't heard my sub yet over 1 week so far. This was self install with a friend that has experience with it.

The power to the amp won't turn on due to the (blue wire) remote on from the deck that tells it to turn on. There is power coming to the amp and the ground is ok so far, it had to be connected to the antenna's metal piece (best place for direct contact) these were checked with a voltmeter so for sure it must be the blue remote on wire.

The blue wire might have been misplaced, which is why I am attempting in opening up my whole dash alone tomorrow to see..(although i have no clue how to tell its wrong). I'll take pics and let my car sit open till i dunno....

If thats not the case I have no clue what it can be...maybe my deck is crap

http://www.berent.pl/pliki/kenwood/kdc-w4031-x.jpg

heres my stuff btw
http://www.futureshop.ca/catalog/pro...114398&catid=#

http://www.futureshop.ca/catalog/pro...gon=&langid=EN

I need help...btw Im a girl take it easy on me if I suck...
thanks
Old February 15th, 2009, 10:49 PM
CF Monarch

Received 27 Likes on 9 Posts

I'd definately make sure the blue wire is connected properly. If that doesn't work, use the blue+white wire.

I'm assuming its a trunk mount antenna. Don't use the antenna ground its not a good enough connection. If you can loosen a back seat bolt and ground the wire to that, it may solve your problem.

If the blue wire is hooked up right and still nothing, it could be the relay in the amp.
Find a battery...flashlight, cordless drill, etc.
Wire from + on the battery to the remote input on the amp.
You should hear a click. Depending on the amp, you may not hear a click. In the case that you don't, turn the radio on and see if the subs work.
Old February 15th, 2009, 11:15 PM
CF Beginner

Default re

I forgot to mention that the sub and amp are new i got the few days ago....the voltmeter measures right so i think those are ok.....my next step is checking the wire yes...i wish i had a diagram of the harness to see where it goes for sure...

I might however follow ur advice with the back seat bolt as well for better ground....my buddy said he had problems finding a good negative on his cavalier also... *sigh * brand new and haven't heard a sound yet..I am stressed
Old February 16th, 2009, 9:07 AM
CF Monarch

You are getting RCA to the back right? I mean, your RCA cables are run from the back of the radio to the amp? Sometimes the RCA will pull off the back of the radio an it's nerveracking to figure out what's going on.
You still need to get into the dashto check.
Old February 16th, 2009, 10:32 AM
CF Beginner

thanks i will atempt that today i might post up a pic of my harness would u be able to tell if the wire is in the wrong spot?

thanks in advance
Old February 16th, 2009, 1:24 PM
Banned

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

The amp turn-on wire should be blue\white coming out of the radio. test for 12v+ at the amp while the radio is on.

DO NOT POWER THE AMP UP UNTILL YOU MOVE THAT GROUND!!
That is a very bad spot for a ground. you can and will burn up your amp if you try it use that spot. Not only that, but wherever the antenna bracket grounds to the body, will get very hot possibly causing a fire.
Use the parts that came with the amp wire. There should be a small ring terminal(probably gold plated) that will crimp onto the end of the wire, and there should also be a self tapping screw(probably also gold plated). Find a flat piece of metal in the trunk, scrap the paint off, and use the self tapping screw. Do not over tighten it though.
Old February 16th, 2009, 1:33 PM
CF Beginner

here are pics of my harness....my blue wires (to the amp) is connected to a blue one which says 'power antenna" so its in the wrong spot...i think the right one is missing somehow...the blue/white is the power on i think but its not even part of the harness....it is however in the other part connected to my cd player as u can see the wires are taped together (by the installer) im so lost right now

http://www.flickr.com/photos/35520893@N08/3285598884/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/35520893@N08/3285598264/
Old February 16th, 2009, 4:14 PM
CF Beginner

Thumbs up

PROBLEM SOLVED

THE BLUE WHITE WIRE WAS THERE DIRECTLY FROM MY RADIO I HAD TO UNTAPE THE WHOLE BUNDLE AND STRIP THE WIRE N CONNECT IT. THE AMP NOW TURNS ON.

However my deck shuts off after a few seconds of playing music...its probably because my battery isnt tight enough and i need a better ground

thanks for ur help again
Old February 16th, 2009, 5:08 PM
CF Monarch

If you can somehow jar the head unit and it goes back to working, then its a loose connection in the harness.
Other than that, thats a nice harness. looks like 16 or 18 awg wire instead of the usual 20.

And yes, you do need to move your ground. Don't think about grounding under the carpet either... Ground it in plain sight. The seat mounts are great places to ground to if you are jubious about drilling a hole in the frame.
Old February 17th, 2009, 8:54 AM
CF Beginner

Smile problems solved !

Thanks for all your help!

Everything's working very well and the subwoofer is amazing too. I managed to get help drilling a new hole on the metal on the top of my trunk's roof and it was perfect there. Removed the paint and drilled about 2 self tapping screws to be sure. I also drilled the amp into the back seat so that when i open it down from the inside I can work with the settings on the amp easily. The sub is now also secure with a thick elastic running across the box itself. I am happy now and I can finally wow the boys

Thanks again.

Quick Reply: amp install - fail