Cavalier Starting in the 1980s. the Cavalier made a name for itself by offering an affordable 2 and 4 door compact.
Platform: J-body

A/C Heat Defrost Control Panel

Search this Thread

Old November 2nd, 2008, 7:50 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A/C Heat Defrost Control Panel

I have a 2003 Cavalier, and there is something wrong with the air system. When I try to change it from where it blows on your face to your feet, or change it to defrost, the air still comes out of the upper vents. Also, when i try to change it, the control flicks back quickly to the upper vent option. once again, even ifthe controldoes stay where i put it (ie defrost) the air still comes out of the upper vents. any help?
Old November 15th, 2008, 9:47 PM
CF Beginner

Default RE: A/C Heat Defrost Control Panel

You have a vacume hose that has been disconnected. Poke around under the hood. I had the same problem with mine. Up by the firewall I had a line that was disconnected.
Old October 17th, 2009, 1:01 PM
CF Beginner

I sort of have the same problem. I have a 1997 Suburban K1500 with a defrost issue. I can change all the fan speeds ok. I can change the temp ok. But when I turn the dial to change the Face/Feet/Defrost it is stuck on feet. The AC button does not light up anymore, and the re-circ air botton doesnt work either. I think there was a short somewhere. I took it all apart and found out that the control module had 2 burnt areas on the pc board. I soldered a jumper wire to the wire loom and I got the temp to change, but the flow switch is still not working. I have tested the Actuator motor down on the box for movement and voltage and it seems to be working but really slow. Has a hot if 14V and a variable of 6-8V when I turn the flow control dial (Which tells me that the switch is still OK. So what could it be?
Old November 10th, 2009, 3:05 PM
CF Beginner

Default Same problem AC control replace

Originally Posted by 1997BlackSuburban
I took it all apart and found out that the control module had 2 burnt areas on the pc board
Hello, I have to replace the AC control on my 95 Diesel suburban, can you tell me how to dismount the dashboard? Do you have Photos? Thanks
Old December 8th, 2009, 1:03 PM
CF Beginner

Hey guys,

What I believe has happened is this:

When you turn your control, it pulls a cable. That cable snakes up through your dash board and is connected to a small piece of plastic that is connected to a flap in your ductwork. When you turn the ****, it pulls the cable, and flips the flap up for defrost, or down to allow air to your feet. The same setup is used to adjust hot air to cold air. The cable is either disconnected at the back end of the control box, or more likely has broken off the flap, which has happened to me (both of them...).

I took mine somewhere to get it fixed, and it's actually there right now; however, had I known where to get the parts I needed, I would have dismantled the dash and replaced it myself.
Old June 25th, 2011, 3:51 PM
CF Beginner

Do you have a picture of this?