Cavalier Starting in the 1980s. the Cavalier made a name for itself by offering an affordable 2 and 4 door compact.
Platform: J-body

Cooling problems

Search this Thread

Old February 10th, 2008, 11:45 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cooling problems

2001 Cavalier Base Model 5 spd

For the first few months Ive had it, not a single problem. About a month ago, I hit a curb on the front end(not full collision but still pretty rough) and I don't know if its related or not but the last few weeks it seems to be running hotter than normal. In the past, even during summer time, it never went more than two notches above mid level on the temp gauge but now it goes up to about four notches before the fan kicks on. One day i wasrunning my heater on low and glanced down to see the "check gauges" light and my temp. gauge in the red. I got up to speed(I was at a red light) and it went down pretty quick but ever since, I turn off my heat soon as it goes up to 3 notches above mid level which sucks in Colorado winter. Tonight I started it up only to realize my low coolant light was on, so i put in about a quart(up the the cold fill line) and let it sit a few mins, then started home. The light stayed on the whole way and wont go off now. its 11pm so i cant really see much so for tonight i stuck a box underneath the hood/radiator area to see if im leaking but does anyone have any suggestions for the morning? Replace thermostat? Maybe bleed the lines? If so im not sure on how to do either on this particular car but could get some help, or if someone has instructions that much better! Sorry this was so long, thanks for any help.
Old February 11th, 2008, 9:51 AM
CF Monarch

Received 27 Likes on 9 Posts
Default RE: Cooling problems

Its possible you have a leak for sure. Youmost likely have a bad stat.
Old February 11th, 2008, 1:10 PM
CF Junior Member

Only thing is if i literally just filled my reservoir, whether i have a leak or not shouldnt the light atleast temporarily go off?
Old February 11th, 2008, 1:23 PM
CF Monarch

It would have to cool down before the light will go off.
Old February 11th, 2008, 1:36 PM
CF Junior Member

Oh ok. I wasnt running hot at all last night, so if theres a leak then it would be a problem with pressure in the system? Could that possibly be caused by a radiator cap with a bad seal?
Old February 11th, 2008, 2:00 PM
CF Junior Member

I just pulled out the cardboard i put underneath last night and theres only a small spill on it, so if it is coolant its not very much. Im on my way to get a replacement stat now, wheres the thermostat located on this particular car?
Old February 11th, 2008, 4:04 PM
CF Junior Member

Ijust replaced my daughters 98 stat last nite. The coldest nite of the year 4 degrees and it decided to stick open and would not produce any heat within the car.
Old February 11th, 2008, 4:48 PM
CF Monarch

ORIGINAL: EricK

I just pulled out the cardboard i put underneath last night and theres only a small spill on it, so if it is coolant its not very much. Im on my way to get a replacement stat now, wheres the thermostat located on this particular car?
Still need to locate the leak. Leaks get worse when the engine is hot.
I have no idea... never messed with a cavy specifically. If you can locate a haynes or chiltons manual at advance auto or autozone, that will tell you exactly how to change it. They are about 15-20 bucks. Or you can wait for someone to post here...
Old February 11th, 2008, 5:10 PM
CF Junior Member

Ya I found the Haynes man. at advance but didnt want to pay $19 for it unless I was sure it would be detailed enough. I imagine I have to drain my coolant to replace the stat and if this is the case, anyone know where the drainage plug is at?

Edit: Just went outside and checked my oil because of a posting i read about coolant entering the head/gasket/block. It seems a little low and darker than usual. In the past between changes my oil basically hasnt been burning at all. I filled coolant completely to the top and let my car run for about 15 mins and it seemed to be running fine except the low coolant light stays on. The heater works good and the exhaust looks normal(little smoke, not white smoke like burning coolant).
Old February 15th, 2008, 5:54 AM
CF Beginner

What engine does your car have? It's it a 2.2L, or 2.4L? And also, does it say 'Ecotec' on the valve cover?

Quick Reply: Cooling problems