Cavalier Starting in the 1980s. the Cavalier made a name for itself by offering an affordable 2 and 4 door compact.
Platform: J-body

Does White smoke exiting from coolant reservoir indicated a blown head gasket??

Search this Thread

Old March 29th, 2011, 6:08 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Does White smoke exiting from coolant reservoir indicated a blown head gasket??

Hi here is a question for anyone out there who may know more than me.. LOL ..

Got a 2001 Chevy Cavalier. My son was driving it and it started to overheat on the high way.. by the time he got it parked it was stalling out.

wasn't the thermostat.. I replaced the water pump because there was a little play and it didn't seem to turn freely. the old one had damage to the impellers that looked like they had been grinding agaist metal.

when parked and in idle it runs hot but doesn't get into the red.. when I drive it a few blocks the temps go right into the red. And coolant is being blown out of the pressure relief hose by the cap of the reservoir.

It isn't really smoking, however when I remove the reservoir cap and start the car it appears to have white smoke coming out of the reservoir.

also when I shut the car down I use the coolant bleed screw.. located on the hard part of the coolant line to the heater and release trapped air.. I run the car again and shut down and repeat.. and pretty much every time I repeat this I get air out before any coolant starts.

Does this sound like a Blown Head Gasket. Thats what I'm leaning towards in my mind.

and does anyone have a shot in the dark on how much these repairs run.. I hear pretty pricey
Old March 29th, 2011, 10:59 PM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Welcome to the forum. I'm afraid it does sound like a head gasket, if not a cracked head itself. I especially don't like "by the time he got it parked it was stalling out." The cylinder head is going to need work even if it's not actually cracked. Call a couple of shops for a rough estimate?