Cavalier Starting in the 1980s. the Cavalier made a name for itself by offering an affordable 2 and 4 door compact.
Platform: J-body

Engine Problem...help needed

Search this Thread

Old August 26th, 2009, 8:52 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default engine problems

just got on to this sight, i,ve seen this problem with chevs when coming to a stop the lock up convertor (in the tranny)does not disengage and the motor does not recognise this try unplugging the sensor on the side of the tranny if this applies to this model
Old August 26th, 2009, 9:26 PM
CF Beginner

check the plugs, and also the fuel pressure, fuel pressure can give you info on the fuel pump and fuel regulator. last time i checked that engine has a ICM instead of a distributor. ICM's can be tested, so can your wires for resistance at your local parts store. plugs are cheap never hurts to have a new set installed. my 97 didnt have a schrader valve to test fuel pressure, so since you just replaced the fuel filter this job will be easier. you need a inline fuel pressure gauge, you remove the fuel filter and put the fuel pressure gauge where the filter is. this tells you pressure for the pump and also tells you if your fuel regulator is working. since the cars hesitates and stalls when the gas is applied, it sounds like its not getting enough.
Old August 26th, 2009, 9:45 PM
Super Moderator
Professional Mechanic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

This thread is 2 years old. I doubt the guy has not got it fixed by now.
Old September 7th, 2009, 1:55 PM
CF Beginner

Talking

i would of checked the pick up in the coil ? especially if it wont restart after its hot
Old September 9th, 2009, 11:35 PM
CF Beginner

Actually...I'm having the same issue with my 1999 Chevy. It scared me so much that I went out and bought a new used car this past week! I was told it could be fuel or fire (already had the harness something or another replaced, I did the spark plugs (one of the only things I know how to do and only because I bought a book!). I did notice...that one plug was VERY oily when I pulled it and NONE of my plugs were gapped correctly. After this..the car ran beautifully for all of about 4 days. Then...in rush hour traffic it would start to sputter and stall. I got oil light, battery light and check engine light. It would then turn right back over. I don't know if it's related, but it is having a hard time coming out of first a lot lately and seems to stall more often when downshifting to third. Does this sound engine or fuel filter? My book tells me how to replace the fuel filter (which scares the crap out of me - yes...I AM A GIRL so be easy on my ok!...I'm new at this!). Any ideas?