Cavalier Starting in the 1980s. the Cavalier made a name for itself by offering an affordable 2 and 4 door compact.
Platform: J-body

fuel pump loud buzz now nothing

Search this Thread

Old November 27th, 2016, 4:25 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default fuel pump loud buzz now nothing

Left on a 2 month long 1000 mile trip in my 2001 5 speed manual 2.2 Cavalier with no gas or fuel-related problems other than my gas gauge doesn't work. Stopped at some dump of a terrible station to fill up where I have never been before and
sure didn't want to go to - but because of not working gas gauge, didn't want to risk running out of gas. Anyway, shortly after this, started to notice a new (never heard before in 15+ years with this car) buzzing/humming sound coming from the tank so knew it had to be pump related. Made it to the destination, but on my way out to buy a new fuel filter, car did not start at all and no sound from pump. Didn't even make the normal sound when key was in ON position. By the way, this loud buzzing only happened once the engine was running - never during those 2-3 seconds with the key position. Anyway, crawled under the car and banged on the bottom of the tank a few times and checked again - this time it worked with the key in on position but didn't want to try starting it since at this point had no confidence in getting anywhere without getting stuck.

So. Questions. Is there anything else - fuse, relay, wiring, filter, oil pressure unit, etc....that could be the problem OTHER than a purely simple failing/dead fuel pump? Specifically, could replacing that fuel filter be of any help at this point? I also mention the oil pressure for two reasons. First I have read or heard that the oil pressure switch has some connection - thought I am unclear what it is - to the fuel pump working. And second - in what I assumed was a purely coincidental thing - when I opened the hood to have a look around - my 1-year-old valve cover gasket was leaking like crazy which had been bone dry for the last year and right up until a few days ago during the trip when I checked. I really really really don't want to try to change that fuel pump under the circumstances I would have to try - not to mention I can't really afford the 300 bucks or so that a new pump would cost - if that isn't the problem

Thanks for any help or ideas.
Old December 8th, 2016, 6:08 PM
CF Beginner

Paid $600 to have a new AC Delco fuel pump and new fuel filter in. No change. Car continues to have major issues with fluctuations in RPMs which get worse at higher RPMs both while sitting still and driving and different
speeds/gears. Before all this started, I used to be able to have that tach needle sit right on any spot 2K, 3K, etc....and no matter what gear or speed I was at, hold it perfectly still. Now, the higher the engine RPMs, the more crazy the variability. What I feel when driving is the car stuttering sputtering.....but so far, it has not stalled or had what I would consider to be a major misfire, although I cant really tell if it is missing on one of the four cylinders firing or not. So my first thought was that the same bad gas that killed the pump has also clogged one or more of the injectors. But my single biggest fear is that they put in a bad (new) pump. It is under warranty, but I live 800 miles away and the warranty won't do me any good. This same stuttering happened once or twice after the old failing pump started to make that buzzing/humming noise. But this is a 100% of the time thing after the new pump was put in. The last day or two of test driving around - it is obvous that something is major wrong. Need your help and advice and suggestions about what to do.

I can't spend any more cash just guessing, having already spent $600 more than I had and am now going to be in debt.

Thankx.
Old January 31st, 2017, 4:02 AM
CF Junior Member

This is a common problem but $600 ?
You got big time ripped by about $3-400. Check e-bay next time for parts and find an independant mechanic shop to install.
Old January 31st, 2017, 6:22 AM
CF Beginner

That was the best price after calling and/or visiting 20 different places. It wasn't close.
Old January 31st, 2017, 6:55 AM
CF Monarch

Received 138 Likes on 130 Posts

Right now, I'd suggest swapping the fuel pump with horn relay.
Old January 31st, 2017, 9:37 AM
CF Monarch

Received 337 Likes on 318 Posts

Was the tank drained and cleaned of that possible bad gas? Is there a check engine light? Possibilities could also be fuel pressure regulator or the MAP sensor.