Cavalier Starting in the 1980s. the Cavalier made a name for itself by offering an affordable 2 and 4 door compact.
Platform: J-body

Fuel pump question

Search this Thread

Old February 11th, 2013, 9:32 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fuel pump question

2001 Cavalier 2.2L
The car died in the driveway and acted like it was out of gas. (Gas gauge doesn't work, but the odometer mileage showed it should've had plenty of gas). So I put 4 gallons in, still acted like it was out of gas. Hooked a fuel pressure gauge up inline after the fuel pump, and it read nothing. Funny thing is, I can hear the fuel pump whine for a few seconds when I turn the key (like normal). So, I disconnected the fuel filter. At this point, it's just the line coming out of the tank, disconnected. I turned the key and heard the fuel pump whine, but nothing came out. I was hoping that gas would squirt all over the ground, but nothing.
Am I right in thinking that if I disconnect the fuel pump, that gas *should* squirt out on the ground if I turn the key, if the fuel pump is good?
Old February 13th, 2013, 5:42 AM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by gregsenne
2001 Cavalier 2.2L
The car died in the driveway and acted like it was out of gas. (Gas gauge doesn't work, but the odometer mileage showed it should've had plenty of gas). So I put 4 gallons in, still acted like it was out of gas. Hooked a fuel pressure gauge up inline after the fuel pump, and it read nothing. Funny thing is, I can hear the fuel pump whine for a few seconds when I turn the key (like normal). So, I disconnected the fuel filter. At this point, it's just the line coming out of the tank, disconnected. I turned the key and heard the fuel pump whine, but nothing came out. I was hoping that gas would squirt all over the ground, but nothing.
Am I right in thinking that if I disconnect the fuel pump, that gas *should* squirt out on the ground if I turn the key, if the fuel pump is good?
Yeah i would say that's a pretty good guess although it could be excessive carbon build up in the fuel lines. Is it throwing check engine light?

Last edited by rhulsey1; February 13th, 2013 at 5:42 AM. Reason: forgot something
Old February 19th, 2013, 3:49 PM
CF Beginner

no, no check engine light.
I took the tank off and it has plenty of gas in it, so that's not the problem.
Tonight I'm going to try to bench-test the pump by filling the pump's reservoir with gas, then hooking 12v to the pump somehow.
Thanks.
Old February 20th, 2013, 7:40 PM
CF Veteran

carbon in the fuel line...new 1 to me

if you unhooked the filter and had power/ground to the pump and nothing came out you may as well look into getting a new pump
Old February 26th, 2013, 12:57 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by cleveland63b
if you unhooked the filter and had power/ground to the pump and nothing came out you may as well look into getting a new pump
..... or look into putting gas in the car!!! HAHA. I pulled the tank and everything just to find out the damn car was out of gas.

And the 4 gallons I put in didn't make a difference since the car was on a hill. Put it all back together and added another 5 gallons and it fired right up. The way the gas tank is designed, the pump is in the front of the tank, and the tank fills from the rear. The car was on enough of a hill (with the front higher than the back), that all the gas I added sat in the back of the tank.
Old December 22nd, 2014, 10:11 PM
CF Beginner

Default 2001 Cavalier Z24 Fuel Pump replacement

Today I replaced the fuel pump on my 2001 Z24 Cavalier. The car has low miles for its age. (72,000) but at 13 years old, it was due, I suppose. Last week, in the driveway, it turned over but would not start. A friend advised banging on the gas tank with a rubber mallet and see if it would start. It did start and I then knew the fuel pump was bad. The shop wanted $675 to replace it, so I bought a new pump for $170 and did the job myself. I backed the car up on ramps, took off the negative battery cable, disconnected the filler neck rubber hose and 3 lines from the fuel pump. There is 1 other line to disconnect, which is some type of evap line. I then removed the electrical plug for the pump. I didn't need any special tools to do any of this. Next, I took off two long bolts for the hangers that hold the tank up, and lowered the tank to the floor. Once out, I tapped with a hammer and chisel (Old flathead screwdriver will work) to twist off the locking ring that secures the fuel pump to the tank. I then lifted the old pump out of the tank, after taking off the electrical connectors to the pump. Carefully slip the new pump in the tank and put the new rubber ring in place which seals between the pump and tank and place the locking ring over the pump flange and tap it in place in reverse order of when you removed it. You are now ready to carefully slide the tank in place under the car and re connect all your lines that you removed. Use care to have the tank in it's proper place so as not to break the plastic tabs on the new fuel pump. Slowly mount the tank straps, while using caution not to have any lines get pinched under the hangers. Next, replace your disconnected battery cable and turn the key two clicks to pressurize the fuel system. check for leaks now and then start the car drive off the ramps and clean up. The job took 2-3 hours. I am not a professional mechanic. Good luck. :-)
Old December 23rd, 2014, 6:22 AM
Administrator

Received 42 Likes on 42 Posts

josephbeck1963 Welcome to the forum , thanks for taking the time to share your repair and how-to