Cavalier Starting in the 1980s. the Cavalier made a name for itself by offering an affordable 2 and 4 door compact.
Platform: J-body

HardShifting

Search this Thread

Old November 12th, 2012, 6:28 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy HardShifting

Just finished a motor change out on my 04 cavalier. Also changed transmission fluid and filter. After I got the car running it shifts hard once it engine comes up to temperature and I get a P0113 code. Changed Air Intake Temperature Sensor but still have the same problem. Initially overfilled the the transmission, found inspection port on lower part of transmission and drained excess fluid after engine was up to operating temp of 195F. If I clear the error code car runs fine for a few minutes until error returns. At a loss as what to do next. Thinking the PMC might be problem but that is a pricy maybe. Car was not doing this before the engine change. Engine was knocking hence the engine change.
Anyone have any ideas?
Old December 2nd, 2012, 10:45 AM
CF Beginner

Well folks thought I would post an update. After spending several weekends trying to figure this out I finally found it was a bad connector to the intake air temperature sensor. The power side of the sensor was not getting the 5VDC to the sensor. I jumped the wire to the pin of the sensor and now the car shifts and runs find. One other symptom we noticed while troubleshooting this problem was whenever the engine threw the P0113 code the AC compressor would kick out causing the AC blow hot. Hope this post might help someone else having this trouble.
Old December 3rd, 2012, 8:19 PM
CF Active Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks! Good job.
Old August 6th, 2013, 1:22 AM
New User
Awaiting E-mail Confirmation

Looks like im gonna have to do the same wit my 02. I just replace the iat sensor 2 days ago and cleared the p0113 code. Everything was fine until today when the check engine light came back on. I hooked up my obdII and it threw the same p0113 code.