Cavalier Starting in the 1980s. the Cavalier made a name for itself by offering an affordable 2 and 4 door compact.
Platform: J-body

having trouble bleeding brakes

Search this Thread

Old May 7th, 2011, 12:44 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy having trouble bleeding brakes

Hello< I'm a new mwmber of this forum. actually I havent owned a chevy till recently. I aquired an 1997 cavilier and I had to change a bad break line. rusted through rear right side.so I got the old one off and the new one on without a hitch. went to bleed the brakes and I get nothin. no air, no fluid. HELP please!!!
I'm wondering if the ABS is blocking the fluid somehow. I've also been looking online, I've found other people with the same problem but no tips on what to do.
Old May 17th, 2011, 3:10 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you have drum brakes in the rear, then the same rust that rotted out the brake line, may have fused the wheel cylinder in the drum brake. The good news it they are cheap & not too bad to replace. If you take the brake line you replaced loose, which I assume goes right up to the wheel cylinder then pump the brakes, does the brake fluid come out of it? If so, then replace the cylinder. If not, the rot has clogged another part of the brake line. Make sure you use the correct flared fitting when you replace the brake line, NEVER USE A COMPRESSION FITTING or your brakes will fail! There are single & double flare types of fittings, make sure you have the correct type of flaring tool to match the single or double type that your car already has, the flare tool are easy to rent or buy. Please be meticulous in your brake work or they could fail at a very bad time.