Cavalier Starting in the 1980s. the Cavalier made a name for itself by offering an affordable 2 and 4 door compact.
Platform: J-body

HELP!!! Stalling '05 Cavallier is finally driving me bonkers!

Search this Thread

Old January 22nd, 2008 | 7:56 PM
CF Beginner

Default HELP!!! Stalling '05 Cavallier is finally driving me bonkers!

Ok, heres the deal. My boyfriend already posted on here in 2006 and some people we helpful, so I'm trying again.

I bought a 2005 in aug 2004 and had no problems for about year. In september of 2005, my car began intermittement stalling for no reason. it doesnt matter if the car is hot or cold, driving short distances or long... the effing thing stalls. It also stalls whenidling and when driving. I had a '91 cavallier before with NO problems, this '05 has given me nothing but grief.[&o]

It is still under warranty and has been at the dealer 5 times. First time they said it was an intake valve (proabably the wrong name) and replaced it (no charge obviously). It was fine for a while, but then started stalling again. So next they replaced a sensor in the gas tank, stilling stalling, then replaced a sensor is the engine, then reset both again... This has been happening for the last 2 years!!!! []I am freakin out over here. And of course when they take it for a test drive, it doesnt stall for them.
I have a hunch that something is up in the fuel injection system because when I can feel it start to stall (it gives a little shake), if I can punch the gas, it goes like a hot damn and then I have no problems.

I know NOTHING about cars, so I really need some help. My boyfriend is good with cars but he is stumped. I want to be able to go tell the dealer exactly what I want checked when I go in there in the next few weeks. [8D]

Please post if you ahve had the same problem or similar and if you have an idea what is wrong.

Old January 22nd, 2008 | 8:00 PM
CF Beginner

Default RE: HELP!!! Stalling '05 Cavallier is finally driving me bonkers!

Oh its the idle air control sensor, and yes the engine light does come on BUT its not throwing any codes