Cavalier Starting in the 1980s. the Cavalier made a name for itself by offering an affordable 2 and 4 door compact.
Platform: J-body

how to get the belt on a 2001 cavalier

Search this Thread

Old April 7th, 2016, 12:12 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default how to get the belt on a 2001 cavalier

I replaced my alternator and had a hell of a time using the crowbar -pushing down on the tensioner to get the belt OFF. But when it came time to get it back on over the new alternator, I spent about 4 hours, badly injured / cut / bruised both hands, and eventually gave up after not being able to get the tensioner pushed down - and that was after buying a $30 belt tensioner tool, and having both that not work due to lack of clearance - and having the crowbar repeatedly slip off the metal part of the tensioner. I had to have someone help me and the end results were terrible - the plastic pulley on that tensioner was damaged, I am a wreck, and I am getting a new loud grinding noise probably from some pulley that was damaged - maybe even the crankshaft from all the times the crowbar slipped off and smashed into it below the tensioner.

So my question is: How in the hell are you supposed to get the belt on and off on these later-model (98 and later....NOT the models that were before the tensioner that used the idler pulley !!!) There must be a way to do it without dismantling everything and/or raising the car and going from underneath. Please let me in on what the secret it. I am afraid that this alternator's bearings are bad and if I have a breakdown and have to get it towed to a repair place and spend hundreds - all because I can't get the damn belt back on, it will be a huge waste of all that I just went though.

Thanks to whoever can answer this and who knows what I am talking about.
Old April 7th, 2016, 1:50 PM
CF Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

don't remember real well off the top of my head but the only belts I've ever had to fight with were the stretch to fits and some diesels, some cars its a lot easier through the wheel well or from underneath. Theres some tricks like getting everything lined up except a smooth pulley and slipping it on last.