Cavalier Starting in the 1980s. the Cavalier made a name for itself by offering an affordable 2 and 4 door compact.
Platform: J-body

Ignition stuck and gauges not working, dash lights are fine though

Search this Thread

Old October 5th, 2015, 8:17 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Ignition stuck and gauges not working, dash lights are fine though

I have a 2002 Cavalier. My ignition switch locked up and I can only turn the car off by pulling the ignition fuse under the hood as the key will not turn back. The car can not be pulled out of park with the fuse in place. While driving none of the gauges or the windshield wipers works. The dash lights still work as I can see them light up when I start the car and turn on the headlights. I was able to drive it home like that but due to safety and legal issues I can not drive it like that anymore. I checked all of the fuses and replace two blown ones but it did not make any difference in the car.
I am thinking it is a switch and am considering replacing the entire steering column. I can buy the column at a junk yard and replace it cheaper and easier than just the switch new from a store. However do you think this could be the problem?
Old October 28th, 2015, 10:43 PM
CF Beginner

Question

If the ignition switch is locked up and you cant turn it how do you start the car? My ignition lock cylinder broke and it wouldn't turn at all ! There are all kinds of parts in the column that control lots of switches for your wipers, turn signals, etc.. There could be a short in the column, if its not turning to start and accessory the lock cylinder is probably bad... IM not really sure but you could try replacing your ignition lock cylinder. Its about $165.00 from a parts store. You could probably get a used column for that price. If you buy a used column make sure the ignition lock cylinder is in working order. I got one and the lock cylinder was in bad shape and would probably break in a few weeks. I got stuck with having to spend more money on also replacing the ignition lock cylinder. Don't know if this will be any help since I'm pretty much a novice. I found out finding a column for Cavaliers wasn't easy even with all that were made.
Old October 28th, 2015, 11:27 PM
CF Beginner

try watching this
Old October 28th, 2015, 11:50 PM
CF Beginner

Default ignition stuck

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cUoPquWZadw Check out this link maybe it can help. I don't know of any black boxes in the steering wheel and column. All cars now have black boxes to store crash data etc. But there is all kinds of stuff in the steering wheel and the column part that contains the ignition lock cylinder where the key goes in. I'm only a novice, electrical problems can be a night mare for even a professional mechanic! I just know basic trouble shooting. The way you could still use your old key would be to get a new cylinder and rekey it with the old tumblers, that's another issue. Seems you have a complex problem. I didn't get any help with mine on this site. don't know why.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cUoPquWZadw

Last edited by gage3780; October 29th, 2015 at 11:04 AM. Reason: to insert a working link
Old October 29th, 2015, 7:53 AM
CF Beginner

The only way I can start my car is to pull out the ignition relay under the hood, then I can place the car in neutral, replace the relay and start the car. I must pull the relay back out to shut off the car. The ignition is stuck on the drive position but I can start it from there when I do the steps mentioned above. I can actually start it in park but then I am unable to take it out of park with the said relay in place, that is why I must start it in neutral.
I was told that their is a black box in the steering column that controls all of the parts that is messed up in my car and that should fix the problem. He has one from a car he is about to junk so he will give it to me, I just have to catch him home. It looks easy to replace with possibly just a 7mm socket and screwdriver. If that does not work I can get the entire steering column from a junk yard for 30 dollars. I would prefer not to replace that though as I would prefer to use the same key for the doors and ignition. However If the box does not work I will replace the column. I do not see how that would not work but if I replace the column and it still does not work then it has to be a serious electrical problem. I do not have the know how to fix complex electrical problems so if that is the case I will just cut my losses and replace the car.
Old October 29th, 2015, 11:07 AM
CF Beginner

Having trouble getting this link to post. If it doesn't work copy and paste it in your browser. Good luck.