Cavalier Starting in the 1980s. the Cavalier made a name for itself by offering an affordable 2 and 4 door compact.
Platform: J-body

I'm puzzled

Search this Thread

Old November 10th, 2010, 9:06 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I'm puzzled

In the summer time my temp gauge half way up and will stay there. Sometimes it will go to the lower position if staying at 50 mph or more. In the fall/winter, the temp gauge won't budge at all and have limited heat.

To top things off, fan motor gave out today. So while I plan on replacing fan motor, I am puzzled about the heat and engine temp. Can tell the engine is hot and there is a new thermostat in it.

Please give me some ideas. Thank you.
Old November 10th, 2010, 9:10 PM
Super Moderator
Professional Mechanic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Are both heater hoses to hot too touch/hold?
Old November 13th, 2010, 10:52 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sorry took so long to get back to you. No, the heater hoses are warm, but not hot. The radiator hose feel about the same. It is 54° here tonight and the temp gauge went up to the warm position (first tick in the temp zone) but as I sat in a parking lot idling, I saw the gauge move down from that mark to halfway between the warm and the zero position. It never moved from there. Could feel the heat coming of the engine when I touched the heater and radiator hoses.

The air blowing was mild at best, and though it is not cold yet, it soon will be and need to get this remedied so I can have heat during the winter.