Cavalier Starting in the 1980s. the Cavalier made a name for itself by offering an affordable 2 and 4 door compact.
Platform: J-body

installing a radio in an 04 cavalier help!

Search this Thread

Old January 8th, 2009, 2:24 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default installing a radio in an 04 cavalier help!

I just purchased a Pioneer - 50W x 4 MOSFET CD Deck with MP3 Playback and Detachable Faceplate from best buy and the site says it fits my model car a 2004 2 door Chevy Cavalier.

I was just wondering if anyone had any wiring knowledge on this model car that would be able to explain why the wiring kit says to plug the ground wire into the fuse box and what slot to put it in. Currently it's plugged into the fog light fuse. My car doesnt have fog lights, and the radio works, but it will turn on even if my keys are in the ignition.

ANY help would be greatly appreciated thank you! =]
Old January 8th, 2009, 3:26 PM
Banned

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Default RE: installing a radio in an 04 cavalier help!

The accessory wire(not ground wire)needs to go to a fuse that tests 12v with the key on and 0v with the key off. You currently have it on 12v constant which it why the radio does not turn off with the key
Old April 25th, 2009, 9:26 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This might be old, but where exactly do I need to route the accessory wire to? how do i get it to the fuse box?
Old May 4th, 2009, 1:15 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Get a wiring harness that is compatible for the vehicle. You can get them from best buy. That should connect the pin to the ignition wire. You kind of just match color to color. It's rather simple.

I don't know how you are going about it, but if that is not how are going to need to get a wire to fuse box. It will need to be to a ignition controlled fuse. Like a sunroof, wipers or something. Do Not!!! use a higher amp fuse just because you are sticking another wire in it. Try to find a unused fuse location that is ignition controlled.

My best advice to you is to go get the harness from best buy. That will have everything you need to do. Don't go cutting your interior harness (your radio harness) because it will be a pain in the *** to figure out what is what again.