Cavalier Starting in the 1980s. the Cavalier made a name for itself by offering an affordable 2 and 4 door compact.
Platform: J-body

Interior lights

Search this Thread

Old October 4th, 2011, 5:23 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Interior lights

Hello,

Recently bought a 2002 Cavalier for my daughter. The dome and map lights do not work. I popped off the lens and seen that they had no bulbs in the sockets. I knew right away what was going to happen next, and it did. I put bulbs in and they work beautifully, ALL THE TIME!!! What may cause the lights not to turn off. Both door switches seem to move in and out easily, but they still could be bad??

Any help is appreciated,

-John
Old October 4th, 2011, 12:37 PM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Welcome to the forum. The only way the dome lamp and both reading lamps (regardless of the individual reading lamp switch states) to be lit constantly is a short to ground in the wiring going toward the I/P dimmer switch or something internal to the I/P dimmer switch.
Old October 7th, 2011, 9:09 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would run a new wire from the back of the dimmer. (Cut factory wire at dimmer) run the other end up to the dome light. Cut factory wire and attach externally run wire to dome light and see if it works. If it does then you need to run a new wire.

My 2 cents
Dennis