Cavalier Starting in the 1980s. the Cavalier made a name for itself by offering an affordable 2 and 4 door compact.
Platform: J-body

jack stands

Search this Thread

Old March 29th, 2018, 10:34 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default jack stands

So in the next week or two, I have to get several projects done with my car that I have never done myself before. First, I am going to change the oil for the first time because the car has so many issues going on that I can no longer take it to a place even for an oil change. So I went to Walmart yesterday and bought two 2-ton jack stands for about $9 each - which you can see if you go to a Walmart with an auto section. I am a little uncomfortable with the thought of relying on these things to keep me from being crushed under the car, and I also have another problem. The only way I have to raise the car is the tire-changing scissors jack that fits in the trunk. I am not buying and have no way to transport or store a floor jack. The cut-out in the body of the car (where the scissors jack goes) is not large enough for both the jack and the jack stand to be at the same time - not to mention there isn’t enough room underneath that section of the car for both of them. So how can I raise the car onto the jack stands? Since I have to be under the engine area and between the two front wheels, I can’t have anything in that area - it has to be supported from the sides. Ramps are too big and I already did some major work under the car before using just the scissors jack, so this is a huge upgrade for me. I am doing the best I can with extremely limited resources.