Cavalier Starting in the 1980s. the Cavalier made a name for itself by offering an affordable 2 and 4 door compact.
Platform: J-body

Key stuck in ignition, cant get car out of park

Search this Thread

Old March 9th, 2016, 1:12 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Key stuck in ignition, cant get car out of park

2005 Cavalier the key got stuck in the ignition and couldn't get the car out of park. If you turned the key the engine would start but couldn't shut it off with the key. Had the car towed to a dealer. Had the problem fixed, it was the ignition switch. My question is some cars have a shifter interlock button or tab to release the transmission to get it out of park. Are Cavaliers equipped with one. I haven't been able to find anything on it. Would appreciate any info on it or how to get the shifter out of park if it would lock in park again for some reason.
Old May 27th, 2016, 6:38 PM
CF Beginner

Had the car fixed nd 3 months later it did it gain! Any mechanic alive that may have an answer if theres an over ride button,etc. This is really annoying.

Last edited by gage3780; May 27th, 2016 at 6:41 PM.
Old June 4th, 2016, 12:24 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by gage3780
2005 Cavalier the key got stuck in the ignition and couldn't get the car out of park. If you turned the key the engine would start but couldn't shut it off with the key. Had the car towed to a dealer. Had the problem fixed, it was the ignition switch. My question is some cars have a shifter interlock button or tab to release the transmission to get it out of park. Are Cavaliers equipped with one. I haven't been able to find anything on it. Would appreciate any info on it or how to get the shifter out of park if it would lock in park again for some reason.
I have a 2009 Aveo the key switch is stuck on and won't turn engine off the gear shift is working good how can I fix this problem
Old June 4th, 2016, 7:19 PM
Official GM Rep

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by Aveoowener
I have a 2009 Aveo the key switch is stuck on and won't turn engine off the gear shift is working good how can I fix this problem
Hey Aveoowener,

We're sorry to hear that you are experiencing this concern with your Aveo. Your local certified Chevrolet dealership would be glad to diagnose your vehicle concern and provide you with a recommended resolution. As an extra layer of assistance, our team would be more than happy to assist with scheduling an appointment to have a diagnosis performed. If you would like to proceed, please send a private message with your full contact information, VIN, current mileage, and the name of your preferred Chevrolet dealership. Feel free to include any additional questions that you may have. We are always glad to assist.

Best,
Cecil J.
Chevrolet Customer Care
Old June 14th, 2016, 6:31 AM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by gage3780
Had the car fixed nd 3 months later it did it gain! Any mechanic alive that may have an answer if theres an over ride button,etc. This is really annoying.
There has been a bypass on all of the newer automatic cars I have seen. It is usually on the console by the shifter, just look for a small slot that you can fit a key into. Sometimes there is a cover over it to keep dirt out that has to be popped up. It will usually say something like "Shift Bypass" or something. I have a shop manual for the cavalier but it doesn't show where the bypass is located (or if it exists). There should be something in your owners manual. I don't have mine with me so I can't look it up for you at the moment.

The shop manual did mention that the solenoid activates when you start the car and deactivates when you push the brakes so it may have something to do with a bad brake light switch. Check to see if the brake lights are working properly and that the plugs for the solenoid aren't loose.

Good luck and keep us informed about your progress.