Cavalier Starting in the 1980s. the Cavalier made a name for itself by offering an affordable 2 and 4 door compact.
Platform: J-body

leak after new clutch put in

Search this Thread

Old March 11th, 2015, 12:35 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default leak after new clutch put in

Hey. I am really hoping someone can help me out with this. The whole situation has been a total nightmare.

The clutch on my 2001 2.2 5-speed started to slip so I brought it to a place and they told me they put a new one in as well as a new rear main seal. The car never leaked before I brought it there. Well it turns out this place was a disaster. When I got the car back, I found about 10 different things that were broken - I could write a book on this, but that's a long story. Short version is this place did a terrible job and ripped me off - and I sure as hell do not want to ever go back there again. Problem is that from the moment I got the car back, it has been leaking - what I assume is oil - a black liquid from all around the bellhousing/flywheel/RMS area. If I thought the place was either honest or competent, then I would bring it back. It has been 6 weeks of this non-stop leaking, but so far the clutch hasn't slipped. So my question is (and please just give me the benefit of the doubt - there are many many reasons why I haven't brought it back - trust me) - - -

First - is there something it could be other than the rear main seal? I have monitored the fluid in the clutch reservoir and it hasn't dropped. If it is the RMS, then does that mean it is just a matter of time before the clutch gets oil on it and starts to slip? Or is is possible to have such a leak and never have any problems other than the leak itself? I am really upset and worried, but dread the thought of taking it back to this place. Not to mention it is almost impossible for me to do. It is far away, I'd be stranded and worst of all risk them breaking even more things.

Thanks for any thoughts/advice.
Old May 10th, 2015, 5:05 PM
CF Beginner

Just had the same thing happen. Most say and I agree it's the rear main seal. Got damaged when transmission was installed.
Old May 10th, 2015, 7:24 PM
CF Veteran

Received 203 Likes on 177 Posts

I vote main seal as well. File a report with the bbb if you are not comfortable taking it back for them to make it right. If they don't have a bunch of bad reports thru bbb or yelp you might give them a 2nd chance to make it right. Ask for the senior mechanic to work on the car. I had a similar experience and they made it right and fired the guy that did the original work!
Old May 11th, 2015, 1:51 AM
CF Active Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I agree with previous posters, let them fix it.
About your question about oil in clutch and slipping - no, it will not make your clutch slip.
Old May 11th, 2015, 9:24 AM
CF Beginner

Default clutch slip from leaking RMS

Thanks for the replies. If the clutch won't slip, there is no way I am going near that disaster of a place ever again. They damaged about 10 different things in addition to the leak where there was no leak before. I rather deal with the leak and oil drops than to deal with them again.

I have had people swear that even a small leaking RMS will definitely, absolutely ruin the clutch and it is just a matter of how long it takes. That is my main concern since it was $1000.

I have actually moved on to a new and different disaster - gone through 6 new starters in 5 months, a new battery, new ignition switch and about 3 weeks of sleepless nights, days and days at the shop, having to rent a car, having my car catch on fire, getting towed - and still nobody can tell me what is causing the starting problems and the starters to die.

This car is going to kill me.