Cavalier Starting in the 1980s. the Cavalier made a name for itself by offering an affordable 2 and 4 door compact.
Platform: J-body

Loud whine when driving straight or turning left, it stops when turning right 1997Cav

Search this Thread

Old April 24th, 2017, 9:42 PM
Newly Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Loud whine when driving straight or turning left, it stops when turning right 1997Cav

I have a 1997 Chevy Cavalier, 4 speed automatic, 2.4 engine.

When driving straight or turning left it makes a loud whining noise. And it also makes, not as noticeable as a vibration, but feels more like a hum as if something is rubbing. The noise stops when I turn right as does the hum feeling. I feel like the noise is coming from the left side of the car but that may be because I'm driving.

Additional Info:
I started noticing the noise shortly after I hit a pothole filled with water with the left (driver's side) tires. I do not know if that was the cause but I thought I should mention it.

I live in a rural area and the road from my house to the main road fills with water during a heavy rain. I try to stay home during those times but sometimes you can't. The last time I drove out that road when it was flooded (10 to 12 inches of water), when I got to the main road, I noticed there was no whining noise. The whine did not start again for almost 15 miles. So the water must have done something.

Also, when I turn loose of the steering wheel, the car goes straight. So it doesn't seem that it needs a wheel alignment.
I appreciate any suggestions.