Cavalier Starting in the 1980s. the Cavalier made a name for itself by offering an affordable 2 and 4 door compact.
Platform: J-body

Need electrical help asap please..

Search this Thread

Old November 10th, 2017, 2:07 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default please read my story it's messed up

I have a 1999 cav 2.2 and I got it for a steal to save gas..
ehen I got it it needed an engine so I replaced it with one from car yard..
everything went good until I realized the fan wasn't coming on with the heater and when it did come on was when it got hot from being idle to long and that's when I noticed an after market relay for the fan with a probe in the radiator..
so i did some research on the relay and it had an adjustment screw for temperature I concluded that was broke cause it turned past where it should stop..
i found the wire that should be hooked up so it would come on with the heater/ac and tried to connect that to no avail..
so I decided to go with a switch and relay but before I do that I have to get home and this is where I make a small problem a big problem..
so I'm no electrician to any extent so there should be no surprise to me making this mistake but I basically hooked up a wire from the heater blower relay terminal to the cooling fan relay terminal after confirming with a test light that they both or atleast one were key on positive terminals..
this blew the hvac fuse in dash fuse panel.. caused the brake warning light and the low coolant to come on and now that I've hooked up the switch and relay after towing the car home I get a low coolant light at idle mainly when I stop at a light then when I pull of it goes away but if I turn the switch off for the fan when I'm at the light the low coolant light will go off and stay off but I need the fan more at idle than anything.. the abs and ets lights were on before this so I don't know if the now always illuminated brake light is due to a short or open wire or did I fry the abs and now the abs has a contributed brake light.. I have a wire tracker to find a short or open circuit and I'm going to try to use it in the next few days but it's supposed to rain so I will update soon

Last edited by Bruce Cook; November 10th, 2017 at 12:47 PM.