Cavalier Starting in the 1980s. the Cavalier made a name for itself by offering an affordable 2 and 4 door compact.
Platform: J-body

New to me 94 Z24

Search this Thread

Old February 12th, 2018, 2:41 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New to me 94 Z24

Hello all!

Long time lurker from northern Illinois here. Just picked up my second Z24 that I bought in Chicago with 139,000 miles. It's not too bad mechanically, but it does have some rust that needs fixing if I plan on keeping it for any amount of time. Ran and drove fine until I got half way home and it seemed that the brakes were going out. Then the whole car stated shaking anytime I hit the brakes. Hobbled it home and as it turned out, the passenger side wheel was cocked out to the side. Took the wheel off and the whole hub has a good inch of play left to right and the CV boot is torn. I'm not taking any chances so I've got on order from RockAuto a CV axle, a hub, a rotor, and pads. Pretty sure that should do it. I've watched some vids online and I don't believe it's anything out of my scope so that's a good thing. If anyone can point me in a better direction or has a different diagnosis, I'm all ears.

Second issue though that's more concerning is starting the car. The battery is shot so Ive had to jump it a couple times, but even when I do, it fires up and dies. If I give it a little gas, it'll fire up and rev to whatever RPM the throttle I'm using will dictate and then die again. No amount of revving will keep it going unless I pin it to the floor, turn the ignition and keep the pedal down until it holds a steady RPM. Then I can let off and it will stay running. At first I thought it must be a throttle body issue as to why once it does start and i blip the throttle it won't stay running, but the linkage is working fine. This has me stumped. I'd rather not haul off changing out all the ignition and fuel components until I get some advice so again, I'm all ears.

Thank you all!