Cavalier Starting in the 1980s. the Cavalier made a name for itself by offering an affordable 2 and 4 door compact.
Platform: J-body

New owner of 2005 Cavalier Sedan

Search this Thread

Old October 27th, 2018, 4:30 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New owner of 2005 Cavalier Sedan

150k miles. Clean, dry engine and smooth auto tranny. Quiet exhaust. I cleared a P0455 evap code Gas cap looks to be a newer replacement. Plan on installing newer radio. Don't know much vehicle history. Starts quickly on key turn but maybe 1 out of 10 starts will be "slow" and act like it's flooded but start.
I will soon have mechanic do a review and check plugs, get on a lift, etc. Any advise on what to pay attention to?
I have 04 Vue with same engine.
Old October 28th, 2018, 4:26 AM
CF Monarch

Received 262 Likes on 254 Posts

Originally Posted by Gines418
150k miles. Clean, dry engine and smooth auto tranny. Quiet exhaust. I cleared a P0455 evap code Gas cap looks to be a newer replacement. Plan on installing newer radio. Don't know much vehicle history. Starts quickly on key turn but maybe 1 out of 10 starts will be "slow" and act like it's flooded but start.
I will soon have mechanic do a review and check plugs, get on a lift, etc. Any advise on what to pay attention to?
The GM Ecotec 2.2 liter is a good solid motor. It's a shame GM, decided to replace the Cavalier with the Cobalt.

23 years Cav. vs 4 years on the Cobalt, not including the ignition switch safety issue on the Cobalt.

I've owned two Cavs and the only big issue I ever had was the fuel pump going south at 163,000 miles.
Old October 28th, 2018, 5:49 PM
CF Beginner

Thanks for the reply. What were your symptoms of fuel filter failure?
Old October 28th, 2018, 6:27 PM
CF Monarch

Received 262 Likes on 254 Posts

Thanks for the reply. What were your symptoms of fuel filter failure?
It was the fuel pump that went out. Just acted like it was running out of gasoline and died. Damn fuel tank was over 3/4 full, so without
a hoist it was a chore replacing the pump. Just got old and worn out. Sure wish they had a way to change it through the trunk, but I can
understand how much extra money that would add to the price of a vehicle, so no big deal and no blame on Chevrolet or General Motors.
Old October 29th, 2018, 8:53 PM
CF Beginner

Thanks!!
Old February 21st, 2019, 1:44 PM
New User
Awaiting E-mail Confirmation

I have an 03 Cav.that has 258K miles and I was scared that the timing chain would go. I had history on this car from 100K on, and previous owner said, "I never changed the chain" all the while running good, no issues. I did the chain myself and was surprised of no noticeable wear on guide shoes or chain. I did feel more at ease afterwards plus engine was quieter. So I'd say change the chain just for peace of mind, and change the oil on a regular basis. There is an oil squirter that oils the chain, and I'd bet with limited oil changes his gets clogged and starves the chain, then failures. I've heard of timing chain failures, but mine I'd trust now another 100K trans too, no issues, shifts just fine and no leaks. Hope this helps.