Cavalier Starting in the 1980s. the Cavalier made a name for itself by offering an affordable 2 and 4 door compact.
Platform: J-body

New Paint Job

Old April 7th, 2008, 11:04 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Paint Job

Anyone know where a cheap place to get my car painted? My car is white right now with some red graphics and I would like to have it painted black. Anyone have any suggestions on where to have this painted in Green Bay or somewhere close to Green Bay.Oreven if someone is good atpainting please let me know. Thanks
Old April 7th, 2008, 11:50 AM
CF Monarch

Received 26 Likes on 9 Posts
Default RE: New Paint Job

Don't know of any outside of my state, but whtever you do, don't take it to maaco.
Old April 7th, 2008, 1:58 PM
Former Moderator
Honorably Retired Member of Staff

Received 15 Likes on 6 Posts

I painted my truck, see it in the sig below. I can do it, but you would have to make the trip down here to Texas.
Old July 4th, 2008, 1:02 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I live in Green Bay and paint cars, and maybe could have helped you out, but unfortunately don't know what will be happening this year, the Dot has been talking about buying the place I've been renting the last 8 years, and wouldn't want to be in the middle of working on something then have to move. I am starting to work on buying a house, so I won't have to worry about it again in the future, as well as being able to make improvements. I've even done a fair amount of cavaliers, I swore for awhile i was the cavalier expert.
Since I do it on the side, and don't have the amount of overhead a shop has, I would be a little cheaper. But I hate to tell you that paint isn't cheap if you want a decent job that will last. If you haven't priced quality paint and materials lately, as well as realize the amount of time investment that is involved, you may be in for a shock. A color change will add more work and time, as well as black needing very good prep and bodywork to look good, it will show every little ripple or wave in the body. Add to that, many shops don't even like to take complete paint jobs anymore, as they make out better on collision work. I would expect a minimum of 2k at a shop with good materials, and that would be a pretty good price. Ask around, there are many guys that still paint on the side or do it as a hobby or fun or to make a little more money then the crappy body shop job pay, so besides going to some shops, ask around if anyone knows anybody who might take the job. Maybe some of the guys out at car shows will know someone to go to that is good and reasonable, word may get around between them. Also when I attended NWTC many years ago, they would take in some peoples cars for the students to work on, and they would only have to pay for materials. But it could be very difficult to get a car in there, and also kind of depends on what the instructors are looking at taking in.