Cavalier Starting in the 1980s. the Cavalier made a name for itself by offering an affordable 2 and 4 door compact.
Platform: J-body

Oil all over the place, serpentine belt side

Search this Thread

Old July 22nd, 2012, 2:52 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil all over the place, serpentine belt side

I wanted to throw this forum out there for anyone who is having this issue with their cavalier. When you open the hood you find oil splattered on the hood possibly, its more than likely on your alternator, and pretty much everywhere on the side with the serpentine belt.

Oil loss will be very minimal but will look as if you lost a lot.

You will need a harmonic balancer puller kit, timing chain cover seal, and tools of course. Air tools are recommended but not needed.

Everything will run you about $30, if you return the balancer puller kit you will get your $20 back making the entire repair worth $10!

Here is a video on youtube which can be applied to pretty much any cavalier. Its not as easy and doesn't take 5 minutes, so put some time back in your day to make this repair.

I hope this helps anyone that has had this problem. If you let it go like I did, the serpentine belt will become saturated with oil over time, it'll squeak, and be pretty much impossible to put back on because it will try to twist. So add another $25 or so if you let this problem go too long.
Old July 22nd, 2012, 2:54 PM
Senior Site Administrator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nice post. I am going to make it a sticky