Cavalier Starting in the 1980s. the Cavalier made a name for itself by offering an affordable 2 and 4 door compact.
Platform: J-body

Premature front wheel bearing failure

Old April 15th, 2016, 9:31 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Premature front wheel bearing failure

Hey guys, looking for some help with a 2004 Chevy Cavalier LS. I purchased the car about 3 weeks ago knowing it needed a new front right wheel bearing, I could hear it grinding pretty good. I decided to replace both front bearings, along with tie rod ends and sway bar link/bushings. The car drove great until about 5 days ago. I took the car down the freeway for about a 30 mile trip, returned home and parked the car. The next day I took the car out and I could hear the bearings start to whine.... Drove it another day and it was so loud I couldn't drown out the noise with the radio. Today I replaced the bearings again, the left front was destroyed, the right was ok. Took the car on a test drive, sounded fine until I took it on the freeway. I can hear a ever so slight whine at low speeds. What could be causing the bearing to fail so quickly? Anyone have bearing issues with Cavaliers? Thanks.
Old April 15th, 2016, 1:40 PM
CF Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

are you torqueing the axle shaft nut? what bearings are you using?
Old April 16th, 2016, 6:06 AM
CF Monarch

Received 336 Likes on 317 Posts

Did you replace the hub assembly?

Search this Thread