Cavalier Starting in the 1980s. the Cavalier made a name for itself by offering an affordable 2 and 4 door compact.
Platform: J-body

Replaced starter now having instrument cluster/windshield wiper problems

Search this Thread

Old September 8th, 2015, 11:59 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Replaced starter now having instrument cluster/windshield wiper problems

Hello everyone, after a very long weekend, I have replaced the starter in my 94 2.2L Cavalier. I did run into one hiccup (may be major considering) but upon the hustle of getting the darned thing out/in, I did not make note of the locations the wires went to hook it back up and that was a big mistake on my part. The starter has three posts, one really small, a medium half bare post and a thick post.

I have three wires with fusible links. One is from the battery and two (one has orange and black wires (I think its black) and the other has all black (I think black, hard to tell.) My friend insisted on all of them being on the same post (as he is the one who pulled them off) and when I put them all back, the moment I attached the battery cable the starter started running. No keys were in the ignition or anything, so obviously this was wrong.

I checked online for sources of proper attachment but I could not find a darned thing!

The issues:

I pulled off the wires again, attached the battery cable and the orange/black cable on the big post and the other cable on the 2nd post half bare post and tried again. Car started perfectly, however now the ABS light is on, the Check engine light comes on after about five minutes of driving, the turn signals are sluggish to flash on the instrument cluster, the windshield wipers are sluggish at all speeds and the speedometer bounces when you accelerate.

Any ideas how to fix this? Other than the issues above, the car runs fine and starts great!
Old September 8th, 2015, 3:47 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default More news

During my lunch break, my car failed to start. You can hear the car trying to start and the clicking of the starter but nothing is turning over. Alternator is in good shape, obviously the battery may be having issues. And ideas? Help is very much appreciated as I am about to toss this car and go carless for a while.