Cavalier Starting in the 1980s. the Cavalier made a name for itself by offering an affordable 2 and 4 door compact.
Platform: J-body

Stereo Wiring

Search this Thread

Old August 13th, 2007, 8:48 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stereo Wiring

I have a 2001 Cavalier and I am putting a system in and i want to keep the factory cd player in. I got the box to hook up to the factory wiring for the RCA's i just need to no if anyone can help me on what wires are what?
Old August 19th, 2007, 1:46 AM
CF Beginner

Default RE: Stereo Wiring

you'll need a voltmeter to find your power wires. there's gonna be a 12v constant, 12v switched with your ignition, illumination that works off your headlights. Once you determine those wires mark them as power wires. then, get yourself a 9v battery with leads off the positive and negative and start touching terminal ends inside the harness. DO NOT TOUCH THE POWER WIRES! when you complete a circuit to a speaker you'll hear a pop in the speaker thus determining what speaker you have. No, it will not harm the speaker. Correct polarity you will see the speaker move outward ( if you can see the speakers) and negative polarity the speaker will move inward. Make sure you're factory is not amped. If it is don't use the 9v method. Easiest way is to find some old broken device that uses a 9v and cut the wire harness to get your leads off of the 9v. The only other easy way would be to get a direct connect wire harness from an install shop that has the wires marked. you just plug it in and re-solder. Hope this helps!
Old August 30th, 2007, 11:14 PM
CF Beginner

Default RE: Stereo Wiring

go to installdoctor.com has all wire codes for your car makes life real easy.