Cavalier Starting in the 1980s. the Cavalier made a name for itself by offering an affordable 2 and 4 door compact.
Platform: J-body

thermostat direction

Old May 15th, 2016, 5:44 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default thermostat direction

might be a dumb question but on these models the thermostat goes in with the spring towards the water pump, correct? I am having an issue with mine not opening and tested it out in boiling water before installing and saw it open but it is not opeing when car gets hot, lower radiator tube is cool to touch even when car reading past half way on temp gauge.
Old May 16th, 2016, 7:05 AM
CF Monarch

Received 336 Likes on 317 Posts

Does it open at all? Does it stay closed at no matter what temp the engine gets to. You may want to try a thermostat with a lower temp setting.
Old May 16th, 2016, 7:32 AM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by oldchevy
Does it open at all? Does it stay closed at no matter what temp the engine gets to. You may want to try a thermostat with a lower temp setting.

Not that I can tell, it gets hot enough for fan to kick on but the hose on the back side of thermostat is cool to the touch, I got a 180 in there I picked up for advance auto. I put it in boiling water to watch it open before installing as well
Old May 18th, 2016, 8:24 PM
CF Beginner

on another note, i ordered a acdelco one and going to swap out to see if thats the fix, read several posts that say go oem on these
Old May 24th, 2016, 12:33 PM
CF Active Member

The t-stat uses the water returning from the heater core to open. It takes FULL FLOW to open right. See your other post and follow my road threw h*** to get it working

Search this Thread