Cavalier Starting in the 1980s. the Cavalier made a name for itself by offering an affordable 2 and 4 door compact.
Platform: J-body

Weird Problems

Search this Thread

Old August 12th, 2010 | 6:26 PM
CF Beginner

Default Weird Problems

Hello all

I have a 2000 Cav Z-24. For the past six months, I probably drove 5 blocks and other than that, it sat there.

Comes time to start using it again. I needed a new battery so I got one and installed it. After doing so, the odometer read 'Error' and the whole console behind the wheel would die. (all gauges went to 0 and radio went off). I tried looking at fuses and they all seemed fine. Gave up for a few hours, tried it again and everything seemed fine but the ABS light came on. I thought it might be low on brake fluid so I left it alone for the night. Next morning, went to start it up again, and it would die after a second. Did some research and it looked like the theft detector was cutting off gas to the engine after a second or two. So to fix that, I sat with the key in the ignition and turned the car on, but didn't start it. After 11 minutes the theft system reset and the car could be started normally, but the error message came back up on the odometer and the ABS light was still on. I figured OK, I will bring it to the garage in a day and have them look at it. Went to start it just now and the battery is dead.

Do I just have a bad battery? Bad connections? Something more significant? Please advise, I start a job on Monday and a working car would be just ****!

Cavalier in California
Kevin
Old August 12th, 2010 | 11:44 PM
Administrator

Welcome to the forum,
I would defiantly check the ground cable from the battery to the block and chassis. you may need to pull the alternator and have it load checked at an auto parts store, it could be shorted and killing the battery and causing the other problems.
Old August 27th, 2010 | 2:46 PM
CF Beginner

Are you sure that you got the right battery? I could be that or it was just a bad battery. I would, to be safe, check the alternator.