Chevelle & El Camino This section is intended to cover Chevelle, El Camino, and other GM A or G-Body RWD not otherwise covered

86 el camino starting problem

Search this Thread

Old June 28th, 2009, 11:31 AM
CF Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default pump

it should be in the tank ,plan on getting a fuel sock for the pump if you replace it .
Old June 28th, 2009, 7:34 PM
CF Beginner

I would verify proper fuel pressure-but first....HOW OLD IS THE FUEL?
Old June 29th, 2009, 12:48 AM
CF Beginner

Okay I had some time this morning to tinker with the ladys car and I disconnected the fuel line at the throttle body and cranked it over a few times-- alot of gas gushed out at first but then it stopped flowing all together after about 1-2 seconds. So I changed the fuel filter and tried it again- the very same thing happened... bummer. so I guess the only other thing that would cause this is the fuel pump. I didnt want to have to drop the tank- so much for the quick and easy fix!!!

Another thought.... I will try to check that the fuel pump is getting voltage all the time, not just at start up. It would be a shame to take out the tank if it was an electical issue! Hopefully there is a plug that i can disconnect that is not tucked up on the top of the tank! Is there a sensor on the engine that tells the fuel pump that the engine is running?<!-- / message -->
<!-- / message -->