Chevelle & El Camino This section is intended to cover Chevelle, El Camino, and other GM A or G-Body RWD not otherwise covered

Engine swap:)

Search this Thread

Old March 31st, 2005, 3:45 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine swap:)

I have a 1976 Malibu Classic (Chevelle) With a Landau package wich is a vinyl half top and a some small quarter windows. I have had her since I was a senior in High school in 1996. About a year ago or so I got it out started it, Got about 5 blocks away from home and found that the timing was bad. Worked on her for about a week and foundd that I was going to replace the timing chain and about 4 seals.
I am on a stock car crew here and I was talking about my situation and some one offered to sell me an Engine. I worked all winther and this week I am going to go pull it out of the truck that it is in.
It is a '78 400 S.B. that has been bored to a 412. It has 210/1something heads on it, was rebuilt less than 5,000 miles ago and was dinoed at about 420 horse. I have a 3000 stall converter for it as well as a MSD ignition box, distributor and some other performance parts. The engine that came stock in the Malibu was a 350 puting out about 140 horse. This new engine is about 3x that and with the weight of that car I think it is long overdue. I can't wait to cruise around and hear those ponies roar ahead of me. Now I have you all to tell about it here. I can't wait to tell you more.
Old March 31st, 2005, 4:33 PM
Administrator

i cant wait for some pics! soudns great!!! the only concern, is there any weight different in the 412 compared to the 350? and 412..is that 60 over?
Old March 31st, 2005, 7:59 PM
CF Beginner

Yeah! I'll have to post some pics and sound files when it is all said and done. There is not a difference in weight since they are both small blocks. They are even the same models (76 original and 79 new). As far as I know this is accurate. I have worked with several small block chevy's and have found it to be true. I guess I'll fimd out.
I think that it was punched 0.030 over so I would guess that it is 412 Cubic Inches. It was originally a 400 SB.
I wanted to go out tonight to pull it out of the truck but we got some rain the last couple of days so I'll have to wait for the ground to dry up a little. I'll let you know how every thing goes.
Old March 31st, 2005, 9:33 PM
Administrator

+.030 generally adds roughly 6 cubic inches...</P>
Old April 1st, 2005, 7:33 PM
CF Beginner

Yeah, I don't know what I was thinking when I Wrote that it would increase by 12 Cubic inches. I knew that it would only be a 406 not a 412. I think that I need to lay off of the beer when I am typing on this thing. I didn't go out to get it yet. I want to go out right now but I am going to wait for the ground to dry up a little bit. I am hoping to get it on my engine stand by sunday night. If not then it will have to wait until next weekend. I'll let you know.
Old April 2nd, 2005, 1:50 PM
Administrator

sounds like alot of fun! the best thing about a v8 to v8 engine swap is that it allows for some actual fun, because you arent fabbing mounts....ive put a V8 into a slant 6 car..it was miserable..had to weld in elephant ears..such a pain