Chevelle & El Camino This section is intended to cover Chevelle, El Camino, and other GM A or G-Body RWD not otherwise covered

Help with TH350

Search this Thread

Old August 4th, 2019, 9:09 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help with TH350

Hi.. new to forum and hope someone can help.. I have a TH350 spitting trans fluid out the filler neck after test driving... not a lot but enough to make a small mess. I have checked the tranny vent and it is clear. checked the tranny fluid and it's about a quart low.. so that wouldn't do it (I think).. checked the tranny temp and it reads about 170-180.. that seems to be ok. checked for kinked pressure and return lines.. they are ok.. I drained the pan and checked for water.. none.

update: I pulled the pan .. just a tiny bit of debris.. not enough to cause this issue.. I wouldn't think.. if it is none of the above... I'm lost.. what else can it be what can I check for next?? Can it be the vacuum Modular at the rear?
Your input/suggestions are sooooo welcomed.. thank you in advance,Tony

Last edited by tpiro; August 4th, 2019 at 11:02 AM.
Old August 4th, 2019, 11:08 AM
CF Monarch

Received 138 Likes on 130 Posts

You post after test drive. Was the transmission worked on? I'd recheck the vent.
Old August 6th, 2019, 7:37 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

kevin.. thank you for your reply...no it wasn't worked on but sat outside for a year under a car port covered in plastic. vent is clear..worked fine in my Elky. The fluid was low when it was spitting after test drive and I'm thinking the same thing that someone else mentioned about cavitation/starving .. however, i need to study that more.. I do have the new filter in it which it really didn't need.. added 3 qts of fluid to start off with and getting ready to fire it up to level it out while putting it in drive/reverse/neutral, etc..