Chevelle & El Camino This section is intended to cover Chevelle, El Camino, and other GM A or G-Body RWD not otherwise covered

New build, 1st time Chevy owner.

Search this Thread

Old August 23rd, 2018, 9:57 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New build, 1st time Chevy owner.

Hey folks!!

I’m in the market for a el Camino. I’ve been a ford guy for years and rebuilt a fair share of 302’s and what not. However! My wifey has decided for my next build that she would like an el Camino. I’m fully on board, and think it’s a great idea yet I have no idea what I’m getting into. My ideal situation is a 80s model. Outside of that I have no idea. I’d like input on motor specifically. Heads, should it be a 350, is a Ls swap feasible, what type of block should I be looking for to have a good rebuild, yada yada. I can get a pretty clean ride in my part of the country for about two grand. Budget for the motor would be in the 3-4 thousand range. Would like to be a carb set up in the wheel house of 400 hp. Not sure if that’s possible, but you don’t know till you ask. Thanks in advance.
Old August 24th, 2018, 1:04 AM
CF Monarch

Received 262 Likes on 254 Posts

Originally Posted by Bmoo
Hey folks!!

I’m in the market for a el Camino. I’ve been a ford guy for years and rebuilt a fair share of 302’s and what not. However! My wifey has decided for my next build that she would like an el Camino. I’m fully on board, and think it’s a great idea yet I have no idea what I’m getting into. My ideal situation is a 80s model. Outside of that I have no idea. I’d like input on motor specifically. Heads, should it be a 350, is a Ls swap feasible, what type of block should I be looking for to have a good rebuild, yada yada. I can get a pretty clean ride in my part of the country for about two grand. Budget for the motor would be in the 3-4 thousand range. Would like to be a carb set up in the wheel house of 400 hp. Not sure if that’s possible, but you don’t know till you ask. Thanks in advance.
You are going to have a hard time pushing a true 400 HP out of a carburetor-style 350 V8, period, IMO. The 1970 LT-1 350 Corvette' mill was rated at 425 HP, but that was not the true horsepower, as rated by today's standards. I'd be thinking a big block motor like a GM 427 or a 396 C-I engine might work for you.
Old August 24th, 2018, 12:21 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by oilcanhenry
You are going to have a hard time pushing a true 400 HP out of a carburetor-style 350 V8, period, IMO. The 1970 LT-1 350 Corvette' mill was rated at 425 HP, but that was not the true horsepower, as rated by today's standards. I'd be thinking a big block motor like a GM 427 or a 396 C-I engine might work for you.
I’m assuming it’s the same formula as ford. Aluminum heads, roller cam, intake, etc. what’s the deal with an earlier ls longblock with a carb setup? It’s a bit confusing with all the generations of the 5.7/350. I’m not even sure if Caminos used any sort of computer set up that would run into issues with transmission, ignition, etc.