Chevelle & El Camino This section is intended to cover Chevelle, El Camino, and other GM A or G-Body RWD not otherwise covered

TH350/700R4 swap suggestions?

Search this Thread

Old November 29th, 2010, 7:47 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default TH350/700R4 swap suggestions?

If this has been covered please point me to the posting so I don't waste your time. I couldn't find anything by doing a seach. Thanks!!!

Anyway.....I have an '85 El Camino with a 305/TH350 trans. I have access to a 700R4. Is there any advantages of one to the other? Also, I know about the driveshaft, but what other issuses will I need to consider (linkages, electronics, etc.) in installing the 700R4?

Is there anything besides filter/fluid that I should service before installing?

This is going to be my 16 year old nephew's car and I was hoping to squeak out a few more MPGs to save him on gas money.

Thanks!

Dave
Old December 5th, 2010, 4:34 PM
CF Pro Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

u will get more mpg out of the trans, it is a lil weaker but with a 305 it should be fine, the trans crossmember nees to be modified but that is as simple at welding a new plate on, the steering column in the elky wont let him shift right into low he will be forced to start off in 2nd in the selections (wont be able to hold it in 1st) but a floor shifter takes care of that. the torque converter lockup needs either a switch or to be jumped (i forget what wire it is) also you will need to hook up the T.V. cable to where the trans kickdown would normally go (edelbrock makes a clip for the bottom of the linkage the right length. another thing that im not sure about but i have been told is that there isnt much clearance in the g-body transmission tunnel and it need some "pursuasion" but im sure thats not a problem, make sure you let us know how it goes i have a g-body i have been wanting to do this to, so i have looked into doing it but havent quite yet