Notices
Classic Trucks (Prior to 1987) Section for all discussion related to the Classic Chevrolet and GMC trucks prior to 1987.

350 rebuild// looking for assistance

Search this Thread

Old April 9th, 2018, 6:57 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 350 rebuild// looking for assistance

ive got an 86 Silverado that was handed down to me by my passing father, had no real knowledge that it even existed, it has been sitting in the woods now for almost 9 years, it has a 350 small block in there and my hopes are to rebuild it. Sadly, I know very little to none about rebuilding an engine, especially one that I so old, looking at the engine bay I could not even tell you where to start, but all I know is that it is in rough shape, if anyone would be willing to help me out on this it would mean the world to me!
Old May 15th, 2018, 4:16 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

hey, have you pulled this out the bushes yet!? well it it's been sitting that long, new battery is a must. drain the gas tank if poss and some nice new gas in it. 86 was about the time carbs were out and injectors were in. if its got a carb, pop off the air filter and casing. Open the carb and pump the gas peddle to see if gas coming thru. fingers crossed it does. injectors are too complicated for me.
with your nice new battery turn the key and see what happens. it'll prob want to kick over which is good. you can pop out a spark plug and hold it against the engine block. get a friend to turn the key and look for a spark. and that old HT lead will probably leak enough electrickery to give you a nip!! no spark? clean off the connectors to the distributor & try again.
If it doesn't even click then youre starter motor isn't getting power, which could be bad earths, ignition barrel fuse etc etc. How much do you want it to run? Disconect the battery and take off starter motor. Test it off the vehicle. there are a million videos how to do it. If it works then you know the elecs have an issue. nothing for it but to test piece by piece, but if you do got power and you do got gas then it might well run. then you just got the brakes to worry about......