Notices
Classic Trucks (Prior to 1987) Section for all discussion related to the Classic Chevrolet and GMC trucks prior to 1987.

64 Chevy C-10 - 8 cylnder - removing a MSD rotor (distributor part 85551)

Old December 17th, 2017, 4:35 PM
Newly Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 64 Chevy C-10 - 8 cylnder - removing a MSD rotor (distributor part 85551)

Good Evening!

I am trying to replace my old MSD rotor with a new one.

For the life of me, I cannot seem to remove the two philips head screws that are securing the rotor.

Although it is difficult to see clearly under the rotor, it does look like there may be rotor screw retaining nuts. I just cannot tell for certain. I have tried attaching a closed end wrench in the hopes of undoing the nuts. I have not been able to get anything yet to fit snugly. And given that I cannot see well, I am not sure where I am missing the mark.

I have tried using manual phillips head screw drivers from up top to no avail. I have also attempted using a phillips head drill bit. I cannot seem to get things going either way.

I would bet money that I am not using the correct technique.

Today I sprayed on lubricant for a second time. The first time was yesterday and I let it sit overnight. That did not do anything either.

The prior owner I purchased the truck from passed before I made arrangements with his wife to get the truck. I have no idea how long the existing rotor has been on. And I have had the truck for two years.

Let me know please what is an effective way of going about to remove these stubborn phillips head screws. I feel silly in posting this thread. But at this point, the pride aspect is out the window since my approach so far has been ineffective.

Edward
edwardl301@aol.com

Search this Thread