Notices
Classic Trucks (Prior to 1987) Section for all discussion related to the Classic Chevrolet and GMC trucks prior to 1987.

66 C20 2 barrel carburetor problem fix

Search this Thread

Old July 26th, 2021, 12:28 PM
CF Monarch

Received 138 Likes on 130 Posts

Originally Posted by CaliC20
I followed directions from YouTube post and I used carburetor cleaner and needles to clean to holes I do don’t know I had to adjust the float so I didn’t I just installed like it came out of the box I didn’t remember seeing that adjustment on the video I was watching and I didn’t bother searching to find out why I had that paper with numbers on it
maybe that’s the problem? When I’m going downhill it runs worse that going uphill or a flat street
Is it blowing black smoke? What do the spark plugs look like? With it shut down, pull the top of the carb, check float level, proper way is to measure it with gasket to tip of the float. If it is flooding, did you check the float to make sure it didn't have a hole in it? Your 2gc will have a number 7xxxxx that will be specific, you should have bought the rebuild kit for that number. I sent you a link for adjustments earlier. Quadrajets had issue's internal with plugs leaking JB weld cured that issue, I don't think that's the problem here.
Old July 26th, 2021, 1:16 PM
CF Beginner

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by kevinkpk
Is it blowing black smoke? What do the spark plugs look like? With it shut down, pull the top of the carb, check float level, proper way is to measure it with gasket to tip of the float. If it is flooding, did you check the float to make sure it didn't have a hole in it? Your 2gc will have a number 7xxxxx that will be specific, you should have bought the rebuild kit for that number. I sent you a link for adjustments earlier. Quadrajets had issue's internal with plugs leaking JB weld cured that issue, I don't think that's the problem here.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6RTf2yrGcA4
no smoke no shut down spark plugs are new I have not checked them yet and the carburetor has no numbers on it I just bought the kit with different size gaskets and match to what it had before, float is brand new I did not check for holes,
truck starts right up and idles good, no issues while sitting only when I take off from 2nd gear it feels like there is not enough power (gas/air) mixture not set properly? Because I have to go to 3rd gear almost after take off to keep the truck going or engine will just rev up high and won’t go any faster once I go to 3rd gear it picks up speed and 4th I’m able to cruise, the fastest I have driven is 47 mph on the streets and it drives good

Old July 26th, 2021, 2:02 PM
CF Monarch

Received 138 Likes on 130 Posts

Originally Posted by CaliC20
no smoke no shut down spark plugs are new I have not checked them yet and the carburetor has no numbers on it I just bought the kit with different size gaskets and match to what it had before, float is brand new I did not check for holes,
truck starts right up and idles good, no issues while sitting only when I take off from 2nd gear it feels like there is not enough power (gas/air) mixture not set properly? Because I have to go to 3rd gear almost after take off to keep the truck going or engine will just rev up high and won’t go any faster once I go to 3rd gear it picks up speed and 4th I’m able to cruise, the fastest I have driven is 47 mph on the streets and it drives good
Reset the float, as per the instructions I linked you to. It might be starving for gas, also make sure the needle valve is working correctly.
Old July 26th, 2021, 2:08 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by kevinkpk
Reset the float, as per the instructions I linked you to. It might be starving for gas, also make sure the needle valve is working correctly.
will do that thanks for the link
will post after to see if I did it right
Old July 29th, 2021, 9:23 AM
CF Beginner

Default Fixed!!

Thank you all for the information
After weeks of adjusting air mixture idle screw and double checking carburetor rebuild and the float
the problem was not the carburetor after all
this Truck was missing a return spring that connects from the carburetor to the front of the engine is mounted on the oil breathing tube I notice the gas pedal was not returning like it should maybe allowing gasoline to keep going into the carburetor
i got a new spring installed it and what a difference,
now the gas pedal returns like it should and it runs much better

I keep looking under the dash for some kind of spring that will make the pedal go back not staying low but there was nothing

after many weeks of looking at pictures of this trucks and engines on the internet I realized this truck was missing that spring

Now I can drive my truck after months of dealing with this issue

i also fixed the brakes that where leaking (the rear brakes are a little pain) but is all done

once again thank you all

Last edited by CaliC20; July 29th, 2021 at 9:28 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Rednucleus (July 29th, 2021)