Notices
Classic Trucks (Prior to 1987) Section for all discussion related to the Classic Chevrolet and GMC trucks prior to 1987.

84' Silverado - turn lever not returning

Search this Thread

Old October 7th, 2017, 10:51 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 84' Silverado - turn lever not returning

Hi,

My truck arrived with a fault I'd like to fix. If you use the turn lever to the right, the lever will return to centre after making the turn.

But if you use the turn lever to turn to the left, it does not return, and the turn indicators remain on.

I assume there is some kind of switch inside the cover on the steeting column, can anyone point me to the part, as I don't fancy importing a whole column to New Zealand just for a part that could be posted in a small bag.

Appreciate any help.

Bruiser
Old November 13th, 2017, 9:16 AM
CF Beginner

Notice this is a month ago, but if not yet resolved........... there are right and left springs which return the signal lever. To access you must remove the steering wheel to access the turn signal mechanism. Not difficult, but this requires TWO special tools. I recommend you search YouTube for a video.

Cheers JS
Old November 13th, 2017, 12:37 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

the switch under the steering wheel is bad ! just ask the parts store for a turn signal switch !
Old November 13th, 2017, 2:20 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by bandit_601948
the switch under the steering wheel is bad ! just ask the parts store for a turn signal switch !
Bandit,
Yo Bandit,

You evidently have never installed the part. Replacing the turn signal switch is not hard, but a pain in the *** and fairly involved. For one side not cancelling, probably just need a little spring and not the whole part.. Regardless It requires two special tools. Both tools can be rented at most parts stores. YouTube video to replace spring:

Replacing spring:

J
Old November 13th, 2017, 3:10 PM
CF Monarch

Received 138 Likes on 130 Posts

The springs are in the switch, and I'd HIGHLY recommend replacing the entire assy. The small "strap" on the right of the image is the switch. You just need as far as special tool, steering wheel puller. The biggest "pain" is the electrical connector running it down the column. Opps, you will need the spring compressor tool, that screws onto the shaft.

Last edited by kevinkpk; November 13th, 2017 at 3:11 PM. Reason: Opps, you will need the spring compressor tool, that screws onto the shaft.