Notices
Classic Trucks (Prior to 1987) Section for all discussion related to the Classic Chevrolet and GMC trucks prior to 1987.

Search this Thread

Old May 12th, 2019, 7:27 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Newbie

Hi All, Just a quick g'day from the other side of the world.Australia, where we drive on the opposite side of the road (RHD) to you blokes.
We won't get into a discourse over which is wrong, or which is left or which is right. Suffice to say that if I make some reference to our set up, think like opposite.
Recently bought a 1975 C30 Dual rear wheel timber tray truck (you blokes call them flatbeds?), stock standard 350, SM465 and 14 bolt diff. Already paid for it but being stored at a mates place a couple of hours south of here, until I can get down in the next couple of weeks to drive it home.

I do have a couple of queries for you technical minded people, the clutch linkage set up on this jigger is one of the most convoluted pieces of fabrication I've ever seen. Some enormous bell crank affair going from the RH side, OVER the bellhousing and then more brackets on the LH side.
Round at a mates place a couple of days ago and pointed it out to him, both his 75's, both manual but 292's. Reckons he read somewhere or other that you can substitute a hydraulic set up from a later model, requires stiffening up the fire wall for the master cylinder, but uses the existing pedal pendulum inside the cab. May be worth looking at down the track
Other query I have is GM's use of the NEW Process NP435's which I am led to believe Chevvy used around 1968-1970 before going to their own in house SM465.
I have heaps of internals for the common old NP435's plus 4 cases and know a bloke who imports quite a bit of stuff from over in the States, sent him an email see if he can lay his hands on the correct Chevvy input shaft and bearing retainer. Unfortunately all my cases are the oppositions, not original Chev. No biggie to adapt, done plenty in my time, and it's straight 2WD. I also have an NP445 close ratio, all synchro box (4.56:1 first gear) I would love to sit behind the 350 engine depending on whether I can get the original parts OK. I also have heard that parts for the internals are getting hard to get hold of for the the NP445, but I imported the box from over your way for another project and it was in such good condition, I hung onto it, and am loath to get rid of it. Don't really need the deep low gear , be it SM465 or other type, vehicle will eventually go on club plates and go on weekend runs.

Anyone here ever run these NP445's? Some people say they are really a NP4350, but all my tags refer to 445, I'm only referring to the close ratio/all synchro version.
Have rebuilt a few standard 6.68:1 435's, again the oppositions and they are a very simple well made box, still get parts OK, and I have no wish to overpower the truck, the 350 goes like a clock and other than maybe a clutch linkage mod and possibly changing the gearbox, will just give her a scrub up, a new windscreen and drive her for a while.
Would appreciate your thoughts,
Thanks. Dave64