Cobalt This sporty compact was faced with the difficult job of replacing the popular Cavalier, but whether the base model, or the supercharged SS is chosen, is has made for a great replacement.
Platform: Delta
Also Check out CobaltSS.net

2005 chevy cobalt wont start

Search this Thread

Old January 1st, 2017, 10:32 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2005 chevy cobalt wont start

The car was sitting in the driveway and the car did not crank. It made a sound like a relay was clicking over but did not start. power steering showed up on the dash. I had a friend jump the terminals on the starter and it started but quickly shut off. My brother says it's an alternator issue. The dealer could not find the culprit on why it was randomly misfiring previously so I don't want this to be a money pit. (the work around to this was to shut the car off and restart). Now I can't start the car and keep it running. Does anyone know of any such fixes. The alternator makes sense, but not allowing it to start puzzles me. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Up until now I really have had no issues other than replacing the ignition control module and a catalytic converter. I have 116K. I have tried my key and my spare as well . I'm at a complete loss.

Last edited by Brian Crowe; January 1st, 2017 at 10:38 PM. Reason: more explanation
Old January 2nd, 2017, 9:42 AM
Super Moderator

Received 507 Likes on 467 Posts

its not the alternator. Alternators do not cause no start conditions only no crank if the battery goes dead. the theft system will not allow the engine to run when the starter is jumped. this is normal.
the powersteering light may be showing if someone blew the maxifuse to the electric powersteering motor. Not sure what else this fuse powers.

Any theft lights on in the dash?