Cobalt This sporty compact was faced with the difficult job of replacing the popular Cavalier, but whether the base model, or the supercharged SS is chosen, is has made for a great replacement.
Platform: Delta
Also Check out CobaltSS.net

2009 Chevy Cobalt LS 2.2L

Search this Thread

Old May 8th, 2023, 7:14 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2009 Chevy Cobalt LS 2.2L

Hello, I am Haley.

I have a 2009 Chevy Cobalt, recently I went to leave work and the car stalled twice and would not re-fire.

Trying to start the car, it intermittently primes the fuel pump, starts then stalls out. When it dies the screen reads Low fuel, power steering.

Cluster will spike up sometimes like it wants to start but wont, then a few more cycles of the key the fuel pump kicks on and cluster reads, then car fires up for a few seconds and then dies.

I have changed the Mass air flow sensor, ignition starter switch and swapped fuel pump relay with my A/C relay and still nothing. Also put a fuel pressure gauge on and read 42psi not running, then steady 60psi when I could get the car to fire.
Old May 8th, 2023, 8:56 PM
CF Monarch

Received 262 Likes on 254 Posts

Originally Posted by Hdipper17
Hello, I am Haley.

I have a 2009 Chevy Cobalt, recently I went to leave work and the car stalled twice and would not re-fire.

Trying to start the car, it intermittently primes the fuel pump, starts then stalls out. When it dies the screen reads Low fuel, power steering.

Cluster will spike up sometimes like it wants to start but wont, then a few more cycles of the key the fuel pump kicks on and cluster reads, then car fires up for a few seconds and then dies.

I have changed the Mass air flow sensor, ignition starter switch and swapped fuel pump relay with my A/C relay and still nothing. Also put a fuel pressure gauge on and read 42psi not running, then steady 60psi when I could get the car to fire.
Your vehicle won't run under 55 PSI. The injector's low-side is 55 PSI. You likely have a bad fuel pump or regulator.
Old May 8th, 2023, 9:26 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hot wired the fuel pump, it does run. Also I do not believe a bad fuel pump would cause the cluster to sporadically come on and off. The intermittent issue seems like an electrical issue. But thank you!
Old May 8th, 2023, 11:33 PM
CF Monarch

Originally Posted by Hdipper17
Hot wired the fuel pump, it does run. Also I do not believe a bad fuel pump would cause the cluster to sporadically come on and off. The intermittent issue seems like an electrical issue. But thank you!
Of course. Since I cannot see or test your Chevy, the best I can do is give you possible issues that might occur.
Old May 9th, 2023, 11:25 PM
Administrator

Received 163 Likes on 161 Posts

Welcome to the forum.
Old May 13th, 2023, 7:25 PM
CF Monarch

Welcome to Chevrolet Forum, Hdipper17!